Dual Shaft Gearbox

Thread: Dual Shaft Gearbox

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dual Shaft Gearbox

I am looking for a dual shaft gearbox that can output turn CW and CCW. I have never use a dual shaft gearbox before. So is there a dual output gearbox.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Shaft Gearbox-dual_shaft_gearbox-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You can find worm reducers and bevel gear boxes (angle drives) with dual output shafts. Although the output shaft is one piece, they are still considered to be CW and CCW on each end because directionality is determined by looking down the end of the shaft. I'm not sure if that is what you are after, or not.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    You can find worm reducers and bevel gear boxes (angle drives) with dual output shafts. Although the output shaft is one piece, they are still considered to be CW and CCW on each end because directionality is determined by looking down the end of the shaft. I'm not sure if that is what you are after, or not.

Yes that what I am looking for when you look at the gearbox one end is turn CW and other end CCW like the picture I have here. If that is the case that the right one for my need. My drawing is lousy that added text to clarify.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Shaft Gearbox-gearbox-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I find it difficult to interpret your drawing, but keep in mind that the output shaft is one piece in these styles of gearboxes. So logically, you cannot have the outputs' directions in such a manner as would twist the shaft off.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If is the shaft is one piece than it would work. Is there a gearbox that I can use. I have any picture probably is easier to understand. I am building a rack conveyor so instead of two gearboxes I was thinking just using one.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Shaft Gearbox-rack-conveyor-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Hu, by the look of your drawing, you need contra-rotating shafts, at least the way I see it a common shaft would not work if the direction arrows act simultaneously?
    IF it turns out they do not need to be contra rotating then a through hole gear box to take a common shaft might work.
    ebay 220602339709
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I agree with Hu, by the look of your drawing, you need contra-rotating shafts, at least the way I see it a common shaft would not work if the direction arrows act simultaneously?
    IF it turns out they do not need to be contra rotating then a through hole gear box to take a common shaft might work.
    ebay 220602339709
    Al.
    You are right I need "Contra-Rotating" Shaft gearbox. I have google nothing coming up for that except airplane propellers. Do you know where can I find that or may is cheaper to have to 2 gearboxes and motors.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen them built for custom applications, the drive shaft drives a 45° crown wheel and two 45° pinions drive two half shafts, similar to a auto differential configuration except the differential is not contra-rotation.
    Often there is back lash present with simple straight gears though.
    Helical(?) cut gears may improve that.
    Check out the Misumi cat. they have bevel gears for this application.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of input/output rpm ratio do you need? This would partly determine what sort of gearbox you'd be looking for. Also, does the gearbox need to prevent the conveyor from backdriving the motor?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My input would be around 1800/18. So is a 100:1 ratio gearbox and yes you are correct gearbox need to prevent the conveyor from back driving the motor.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

So you'd need a worm drive gearbox. If synchronized speed on the two conveyors is critical, it would be nice to do this with one motor. You could use the output of the wormgear drive directly on one conveyor. To the other conveyor, you could run a chain drive from the wormgear box with an empowered idler (becoming a driver) running on the outside of the chain to provide reversed direction of rotation. The real chain idler would have to be beyond this empowered idler. It might be a clumsy looking drive, depends on how this all fits together.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    So you'd need a worm drive gearbox. If synchronized speed on the two conveyors is critical, it would be nice to do this with one motor. You could use the output of the wormgear drive directly on one conveyor. To the other conveyor, you could run a chain drive from the wormgear box with an empowered idler (becoming a driver) running on the outside of the chain to provide reversed direction of rotation. The real chain idler would have to be beyond this empowered idler. It might be a clumsy looking drive, depends on how this all fits together.
    If you don't mind can you please draw some sketches for me to visually better. I don't get the concept and I try to draw it on the paper is all moving the wrong direction.

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure I understand your conveyor layout, so I took it to be just a representative schematic to illustrate the problem.

Two spur gears in mesh rotate in opposite directions.

Two sprockets joined by a chain rotate in the same direction. If you add a third sprocket on the outside of the chain, it will counter-rotate relative to the sprockets inside the chain.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you could also use two gears of the same size, as Hu suggested, one on a shaft parallel to the G.B. output shaft, this will give you the two opposing rotation shafts you need.
    And depending on the amount of back feeding pressure, at 100:1 ratio you may be able to use a planetary gear box, even the lower 15:1 takes considerable force to back feed, a 100:1, a great deal more.
    Al.

Albert E.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are gearboxes available with counter rotating shafts. That's the good news. They are expen$$$$ive. That's the bad news.

FYI only, the layout is displayed here:
    http://www.diequa.com/products/tandl...auxiliary.html
    EA arrangement

Dick Z

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like they only go down to 6:1?
    Al.

Albert E.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Probably have to use a reduction before the input shaft (or after). 16:1 planetary in front would be 96:1.

The purpose of the post (#15) was to show the layout available. These wouldn't prevent back driving either.

Dick Z

DZASTR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for sharing with me all the great information.