Home made lathe turret

Thread: Home made lathe turret

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Home made lathe turret

I have the intention of making my own lathe turret. I plan to use a stepper to index it and mount an air cylinder on the opposite end from the turret. The stepper motor will be in between both and drive a gear that will be keyed to the shaft that unlocks the turret. The keyed shaft will need to slide thru that gear. Chuck center height is 100mm. I am hoping to accomadate 12 positions using standard 1/2" square tool bits as well as 5/8" boring bars and may make the turret itself larger in diameter since there is clearance for overhang above the ways. A while back I contracted to have one made and the company did not live up to the contract. They still owe me money so it appears time to embark on it myself. Does anyone have additional ideas/suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.cnc-projects.de/CNC-Revolver.html
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKSB9QldlJA&feature=channel"]YouTube - CNC Turret - Benchtest #2
    www.issintl-inc.com/latheturret

No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile German revolver

Thanks Jim
    I was aware of the german revolver but would like to make it with fewer parts to simplify machining and other work. I feel that once it locks down on even just 2 dowel pins in line with the tool it is not going to go anywhere. My plan is to have the cylinder end with play in the coupling so that the air cylinder disc will not rotate when the stepper is energized but with enough stroke to unlock the turret from the dowel pins.
    Bruce

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking about the pins myself and it dawned on me that if each station on the turret had 3 dowel pins, then you could use them to operate switches to give signals to mach for which tool is selected, as well as indexing the turret properly. I'm a long way from worrying about how to build mine, but I've been thinking about it a bit.

Jim

No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile indexing lathe turret

Hi Jim
    I try not to worry about anything. There are at times though that I might have a concern or two. My intent is to have two stationary pins and a dozen holes in the turret. I am sure that art and or brian would have our backs when it comes to control. That may prove to be the easiest part. Thanks for your input though. For right now I am going to use gang tooling. Just recently had my machine run 142 lines of code for the first time under cnc control before stopping for at least right now an unknown reason. It was only cutting air, next will be wax, then aluminum.
    Bruce