How do I join these together?

Thread: How do I join these together?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I join these together?

Base of table.
    3" box tube.

Want to joint without warpage from heat. Thought about welding tickplate to it then tapping bolt holes etc.

Now thinking of making a 3 way connector that slides inside all 3 joints then tap and bolt that. Like some form of lego or kids building stuff etc.

Any ideas?

Peter

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I join these together?-table-legs-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi:
    Why that config? Looks like alot of extra work to implement your solutions.
    Butt tube ends or mitre cut & weld top frame, then add legs & braces @ corners

maybee not the answer you were looking for...

regards

Downloads
    Uploads

if your dead set on doing it your way, then cut an L bracket with some bolt holes drilled through it. then add a tapped boss into the leg and drop in a bolt from the top.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm just seeing if it is possible to put it all together somehow, without welding.

I'd like to weld it up because then it would be tight as. But I'm concerned about the heat warping the structure. All I have is the concrete floor to use as a flat to weld it up. IF I had enough clamps of a dedicated welding jig table, it would probably be ok.

If the horizontal parts could be a bit lower down on the upright leg. Then I could weld a 6"x 3" x 1/4" thick plate on the end of the horizontals and weld another plate onto the upright. Then they could be bolted together.

But then I wouldn't have a flush top for the table.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I join these together?-table-legs2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I built something similar, but used angle iron instead of tube for the end cap. I used 2 bolts at each connection. It is not only tight, but adjustable for square before being locked down. I used 3" angle on 2" tube.

Lee

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Apples,

Make it just like your drawing, but cut off the part with the bolt going through it. Then drill access holes through the left side of the vertical post and put the bolts in from that direction. The tubing can then be flush at the top. If you want, you can leave a tab at the bottom of the horizontal and still have one bolt in that direction.

Ken

Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can accomplish alot with a square, string and a measuring tape. I method I use on my 60 year old crooked garage floor is to lay some 2x4 on the floor and then throw a sheet of 3/4 good 1 side plywood over the top. This generates an artificial reasonably flat surface to do assembly,fitting and tack welding. I check for flatness of the setup with a string from corner to corner.

regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Welding on flanges and bolting things together will not give you any better alignment than just welding, unless you have the flanges machined after welding.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

lerman, yeah I had just thought of that after I posted that comment.

Geof, Yes I would be machining the ends after.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default tubing joining

There are connectors that are made to attached the aluminum tubing without welding. Try MSC or McMaster-Carr.