knee mill/router hybrid?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: knee mill/router hybrid??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: knee mill/router hybrid??

sweet, thank you Jim I really appreciate it, I can do that now no problem now that I know what I have to do and look for

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok perhaps a stupid question but after a bunch of research so far I have not really come to a conclusive answer, what would be better for me to use here for the belt drive from servo's to ball screws, I have found an option to use either a AT 5mm pitch belt drive for my ball screws with a 25mm belt width, or a HTD 5mm belt pitch but only 15mm wide.

the HTD is easier because the 1/4" pulley is already correct for my servo's, I would only need to bore the one for the 20mm ball screw shaft, and they are also much cheaper for some reason and they already have set screws drilled where the AT do not, but if the AT would offer a substantial benefit I wouldn't mind going that way if it's really worth it, that will involve me having to bore both pulleys and drill and tap for set screws and also is about double the cost for the pulleys alone. I do not have a way to bore these things precise enough myself so I will probably have to outsource the boring of these for the best precision fit either way.

another big benefit of the HTD for me would be that I would be able to buy different size pulleys for my servos off the shelf that are a direct fit so I can play a little with my 1:3 ratio later if I need to, the AT would require me to have to have each new pulley re bored to play with any kind of ratio changes. I think 1:3 drive should be adequate here but having options for tuning later may not be a bad thing really. is HTD5 in 15mm width more than adequate? would AT5 in 25mm belt width be substantially better?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the 15mm belts would be more than enough for your motors. I have used that size on much more powerful motors with no problems.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks Jim I actually now found 15mm width drive pulleys in GT5 profile which I believe is even better than the HTD so I am going to now go with these GT5 profile ones instead. I actually even found GT5 drive in 25mm width too in a direct fit for the .25" servo shaft, I know 15mm should be enough really I guess but I am considering now going for even the 25mm belt drive, maybe a little overkill but I can't see that hurting anything really. I'd rather just do it once and then never have to second guess it

the longer ones of my ball screws are in too and man these things look awesome. very happy I went with the better ball screws here, I'll never have to second guess them either once the machine is all put back together with them too I think, and the compact profile of the ball nuts looks to be pretty easy to deal with even in the tight space I have in here. I can't use the ball nut mounts that were included I will have to make my own thin steel mounting plate to mount it from the flange to the end of my saddle on the Y at least, might be able to use the included mount on the X though. originally I did really want to go with double ball nuts for no backlash at all but was not able to find double nuts in this compact profile and don't think I would have been able to fit a full size double ball nut in here at all really. these ground NSK ball screws should be pretty low backlash anyway, and now with the GT5 drive belts that shouldn't add anything extra to backlash too, so I'm thinking it should be at least very decent.

I got the ball screws from DY-Global on ebay, I buy all of my linear rails and stuff from these guys too, they are pretty awesome. industrial factories replace there linears and drives on a cycle and before they fail as preventive maintenance and to ensure no down time for them, and they replace them even when they still have many months left of potential service life, many months of service life in an industrial setting can be more than a lifetime in a one man hobby shop setting so there is great value in this stuff for guys like me. sure beats buying brand new cheap no name stuff, I'd rather have a ground NSK ball screw in perfectly serviceable condition than a brand new rolled cheap screw any day personally

knee mill/router hybrid??-s-l1600-7-jpg

knee mill/router hybrid??-s-l1600-8-jpg

knee mill/router hybrid??-s-l1600-9-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails knee mill/router hybrid??-s-l1600-7-jpg   knee mill/router hybrid??-s-l1600-8-jpg   knee mill/router hybrid??-s-l1600-9-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually even found GT5 drive in 25mm width too in a direct fit for the .25" servo shaft, I know 15mm should be enough really I guess but I am considering now going for even the 25mm belt drive, maybe a little overkill but I can't see that hurting anything really
    I think that a 25mm belt requires higher tension, and with only a 1/4" shaft, you might eventually snap it off.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

really? wow I hadn't thought of that at all, plus I'd rather not add any more side load to the bearings than necessary too. now that you say this though it does make perfect sense and I can now see how the 15mm can actually be an advantage for me over the 25mm, thanks Gerry really appreciate the input. do you think for this reason I should even consider less than 15MM? up until now I was just thinking the wider the better but side load was something that never entered my mind. I'm thinking 15mm should probably be about the right balance I guess?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12