DIY Lathe Build Ideas

Thread: DIY Lathe Build Ideas

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY Lathe Build Ideas

Hello all,

I am planing a future lathe build and wanted some input. Essentially, it has to do with the saddle mechanics. I was wondering if there are lathes or machines with so called "drive by wire" type handle mechanisms? Where there is no physical connection between the saddle handle and the actual feed shaft?

The idea being that you turn the saddle handle as usual, it is connected to a rotary encoder which drives a stepper motor which does the actual moving of the saddle. And somehow, the saddle handle should be tight enough to simulate real life mechanical feedback.

The reasoning behind it is that I would eliminate the extra gears to drive the feed shaft for auto cutting and allow for software control for cutting threads and other auto feed parts. Plus the feed shaft would be down the middle of the lathe, and not on the outside, although I suppose that's the least problematic.

Any thoughts? How crucial is mechanical feedback on the saddle handle? What about backlash? Do you feel that you need that feedback to tell if you have chatter or other such problems?

Thanks,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Lathe Build Ideas

There are OEM machines that have MPG wheels mounted in traditional locations, and do allow you to drive an axis both for set up and also mid job, all while the control automatically recalculates a running process (the brand I have witnessed doing this escapes me at the moment).

On the DIY level, this individuals experience should be the center of great discussion in my opinion: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...rol-g0752.html

I hope to utilize his methods on a lathe of my own, but I will have to learn a lot more about Arduino programming to use it as his code was dialed in around some rather specific brand unitized stepper driver/motors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Lathe Build Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    On the DIY level, this individuals experience should be the center of great discussion in my opinion: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...rol-g0752.html
    I hope to utilize his methods on a lathe of my own, but I will have to learn a lot more about Arduino programming to use it as his code was dialed in around some rather specific brand unitized stepper driver/motors.
    Hi datac,

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

As for Arduino, it is probably going to be the quickest way to get up and running. I myself use the TI Launchpad environment and their micro-controllers (think msp430 or the Tiva series of Cortex MCUs). I just wonder how to provide sensible feedback to the wheel.