Design Parameters for a Hypocycloidic reducer

Thread: Design Parameters for a Hypocycloidic reducer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Design Parameters for a Hypocycloidic reducer

I'm playing around with 3d printed Hypocyclodic reducers. Hopefully I have the name right - reducers like this DARALI CYCLOIDAL REDUCERS

At the moment, all I know is if I have 16 roller pins and a 15 lobed cam, I get a 15:1 reduction.

What other factors effect the torque, strength, efficiency, performance of these reducers?

That is, how do these parameters effect the reducer...
    * Roller Pin diameter
    * The eccentric offest
    * Tooth size - that is, small tooth - cam lobes are like close pack circles, or large tooth - the whole cam looks like a 4 petal flower (which is probably related to the number of pins/lobes) See attachment
    * CAM thickness

I'd also like to be able to calculate the expected loads on the shaft eccentric and the pins. My engineering math is pretty limited to linear stuff.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Frank

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Design Parameters for a Hypocycloidic reducer-cams-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Design Parameters for a Hypocycloidic reducer

Not an engineer but that looks just like another version of a harmonic drive a.k.a strain wave gear reduction. I would think that you would calculate gear reduction in the same way.

From Wikipedia:
    For a strain wave gearing mechanism, the gearing reduction ratio can be calculated from the number of teeth on each gear:
    reduction ratio = flex spline teeth circular spline teeth flex spline teeth {\displaystyle {\text{reduction ratio}}={\frac {{\text{flex spline teeth}}-{\text{circular spline teeth}}}{\text{flex spline teeth}}}}
    For example, if there are 202 teeth on the circular spline and 200 on the flex spline, the reduction ratio is (200 − 202)/200 = −0.01

As for the other aspects you ask about, I have no idea.