I'm currently working out some details on an OTF (out the front) knife design.

I have two plates that rub together. One plate (separation plate) is .040" thick, and has a constant thickness. At this point I'm leaning towards 301 full hard. Because its flat, and will be laser cut, with only a couple of reamed holes. The other plate (trip plate) is machined out of .125" thick material, with some heavy machining. I'm trying to stay away from martensite steels, as I don't want to deal with heat treating the part.

I've found some literature that goes into detail about the galling, and wear of several stainless materials. The problem is that the tests on 301 are minimal, and they only tested it one of the softer states, with a rockwell of B90. The full hard version of 301 is C41, and according to the literature has 'anti galling' properties, and good wear.

Materials I've eliminated are: All the martensite steels, including 410, 416, 420, 440C, as they all require a heat treat. I've also eliminated N50, N60 and other exotic materials, as the prices start to get too high.

Materials I'm looking at are : 316, 303, phos bronze, AL bronze. I can't find anything that shows the wear rates or galling when paired with 301FH.

I'm leaning toward 316, as it shows good wear and anti galling when paired with 416, and 440C. The 416 being in the C40-45 range, and 301 coming in at C41, I figured it might be comparable. But again, I can't find any data with 301 and 316 being used together.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gavin