Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down

Hi Jim

I had ordered a 5 way two port manual lever valve for the project. Now I`m wondering if its the correct choice. There
    is I assume only one port to supply the air to the manual valve But one supply will come from the tank and the other comes from
    the compressor. I`m not certain how they are integrated. I have my fittings and a new air tank ready to go. The excitement is
    building.

Barry

Downloads
    Uploads

The 5 port valve will work, just plug the B port, and run the A port to the retract side of the slide. P port will be connected to regulated shop air. The extend side of the slide will also be connected to regulated shop air, but using a separate regulator, and that line is also Tee'd off to the air spring tank. Normally this regulator would be set at a much lower pressure than the retract regulator.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim
    I believe the experiment is a success. Amazingly all the assembly of fittings and routing to the ports was correct the first time. Air tank was set at 20 psi. The retract was at 80 psi. When I am at the
    bottom of the down stroke I can move it by hand. It most likely will maintain enough pressure on the surface of the plywood to allow it to move a bit up and down to follow the potentially warped
    surface of the plywood. The only definitive test is a piece of plywood with the router. I cannot visualize any problems.

I am certain I wouldn`t be at this point without your valuable technical assistance.

Thank Again!!!!!
    Barry
    Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down-air-spring-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm happy to hear it is working out. It's my pleasure to help.

Looks like you are getting parts from Automation Direct, they are my go to vendor.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim

Yes, Automation Direct has great prices.

The only thing I see is in some cases for stopped dadoes you want the router to move into the work slowly.
    I fooled around with flow restrictors but that didn`t seem to work. I then found vent fittings that act as flow restrictors.Exhaust Speed Control Muffler.
    I tested the theory by putting my finger over the exhaust port and the slide moved more slowly. I assume this the correct way.

Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down-parker-pneumatic-muffler-045080080-lrg-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I would give it a try and see if that gives the result you want.

What I did on one slide to control the speed was to add a 1/2 inch cylinder to the slide and plumb the two ends together with a flow control in between. I filled the cylinder with Marvel Mystery oil to act as an adjustable hydraulic damper, worked great.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Slow progress on the project. Am spending a lot of time on eBay looking for used regulators etc. Did find a used linear slide to use as
    a hold-down clamp. That will keep the plywood from moving as the router cuts the dado. That will need its own 8020 extrusion.
    Am ordering various pipe fitting and press on air fittings. I have to route all three regulators to the main air source. Not certain what
    to use. Could use press-on, copper pipe or galvanized pipe.

Regards Barry

Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down-regulator_setup-jpg
    Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down-ssssss-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Copper pipe is the best, but it's expensive and somewhat difficult to install. You normally don't want to use galvanized pipe in air systems, the zinc can flake off and plug things up. Black pipe is prefered. There is also air line rated PVC pipe. Easy to install, but a bit expensive. Don't use standard Sch 40 PVC water pipe, it sucks when it cracks and blows up.

My shop is plumbed with black pipe in a loop around my shop, with drops every 20 feet or so. On the drops, you need a blow down valve a foot or more below the air connection to be able to blow down the drop to remove moisture.

For your application, I would come off of the air drop with an air hose with standard quick disconnects. Then connect the air hose to the machine manifold that is plumbed with push on fittings.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

So I went shopping at home depot and spent 65 dollars on fittings. That was an unpleasant surprise. So the air distribution
    system comprised of copper and brass fittings is in its approximate state. I`ve never done this type of plumbing before so it
    was by the seat of my pants. Is it an issue that the joints are so close together? Wondering if I solder the one joint together
    will that cause problem on the adjacent joint. I have one more regulator is being shipped so all the parts are coming together.

Regards Barry

Panel Router. Best way to move the router up and down-manifold-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like it should work. I don't think you'll have any trouble soldering it up. Look on youtube for a how-to-do-it video. There are a few tricks, that would be more help to you than me trying to write a book.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim

You`ve been a big help. I thought other cnczone members would add their comments but it seems if it isn`t a diy cnc build there is no interest. I have been doing web searches and have
    seen a lot of how to videos on soldering. I think with your help all the difficult pneumatic issues are done.
    BW Barry

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bgolash View Post
    Hi Jim

You`ve been a big help. I thought other cnczone members would add their comments but it seems if it isn`t a diy cnc build there is no interest. I have been doing web searches and have
    seen a lot of how to videos on soldering. I think with your help all the difficult pneumatic issues are done.
    BW Barry
    Thank you. I wouldn't be too hard on the other members, there probably very few, if any, that have actually done anything like this before. I've been designing/building machines and doing stuff like this for the last 50 years.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim

I`ve been doing my machine building as a hobby. I just find it so rewarding, learning new things and applying the knowledge to make something from nothing.
    You have one-up on me. I`ve only been doing my hobby design stuff for 30 years. Here are a few of my machines: DIY Woodworking Machines

Regards Barry

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work!

Downloads
    Uploads

I like your project thread here. A few years ago I was trying to figure out how to build a router that could work with 4x8 material and not use up so much of the garage. One of the ideas was to build around a panel saw type concept. Of course my concept was even more complicated trying to make it even smaller and I couldn't figure how to do some aspects so it didn't get built.

I still like the idea though. One of the challenges that wasn't quite so obvious in the beginning is how to get everything aligned and really square when the "table" is at an angle rather than horizontal or vertical.

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps instead of using an air spring, consider to look into constant force springs.

They can be setup to offset the weight of the router head assembly, so at that point it is mostly normal cnc design. McMaster sells them and there are some useful youtube vvideos on how they work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12