Build rotary table - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build rotary table

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Naaa no spindle break When you use the 4th axis continuously you can't use a break anyway! Feel like more cnc without it! The only reason i model the stepper with double shafts is that i already have bought 6 of them hehe

The shaft is a 35mm OD tube with 5 mm thick walls. The bearings is 54mm apart. and 14mm wide. Hoped that would be rigid enough! Perhaps i should try to do some analysis

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah i have been thinking of backlash adjustment.. But i don't like the idea of the eccentric shaft thing. If the gears don't line up perfectly you would probably get uneven wear!? And i don't want the motor mount to be "loose".

Perhaps it would work with springs that push the worm axle up into the gear in some way?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made a quick 2D drawing test of the axle... It was a long time since i did 2D so the layout and dimension positioning sucks And i forgot to annotate the threading and tolerances :P

Last edited by JBV; 11-25-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Plans!

Here you have the first drawings!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build rotary table-axle-pdf   Build rotary table-bearing-support-pdf   Build rotary table-front-plate-pdf   Build rotary table-lock-nut-pdf  

Build rotary table-worm-gear-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent models, and drawings.

It seems to me that you need a pretty decent sized lathe and mill and a rotary table (or CNC mill) to be able to manufacturer it though.

What advantage does this approach offer over buying a chinese 6" rotary table and making a motor mount? The steel required will probably be close to the price of the chinese rotary table.

I have made pleanty of parts for my lathe that are available, but I didn't want to shell out the money, but this only works if the material costs are low.

Another option for the back lash is to make two worm wheels, mill half thickness off each one, place them together and spring load them to oppose each other.

Regards,
    Mark

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you can make most of the parts in a 3 axis cnc mill with ~160mm y axis, except for the axle and threading of the front plate (if you don't have a threadmill ) I plan to cast the housing and bearing retainer plate of scrap aluminium, so the those parts will not cost me anything

Well the reason i'm getting into cnc is that i want to design and build things How fun is it to just make a motor mount?

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that is an argument I can relate to. Making parts for machines so that you are capable of making more parts is fine ambition.

It is fun to design thinks that can be built entirely on a a more simple machine though.

Regards,
    Mark

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will build a screwless center vise and a 4 jaw independent chuck with a matching trough hole for the rotary table too

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build rotary table-vise-jpg  
    Last edited by JBV; 11-25-2005 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added image

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you drawing in Catia?

Regards,
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think that he works with solidworks

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep... Can't live without it

Downloads
    Uploads

What materials are you assigning for on those parts you posted? I fine the standard metals in the catalog far too reflective.

Regards,
    Mark

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, the housing and bearing support is Aluminium 1060 alloy.
    The front plate is Cast alloy steel.
    The axle is AISI 1020.
    The bearing covers, screws and stepper mount is Chrome stainless steel.

I actually intend to build a small induction vacuum furnace so i can just buy scrap metal cheap and remelt without reactions and contamination Have lots of projects i want to try out and i don't want to buy unnecessary expensive materials

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

I completely agree ! I wonder what the 359 tooth one was for LOL but don't worry you don't have to explain, my guess is to match some slow speed motor?

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung
    I was one of those telescope making guys, years ago. I tried the hobbing with a tap, but wasn't overly pleased with what I ended up with. You are correct, a large tooth number with a fine pitch tooth is going to average out a lot better than a small gear with only a few teeth, for the reasons I described.

Amateur astronomers taking astrophotos fully expect to sit at the guidescope and make fine adjustments to keep a star centered on a crosshair. So if their large gear is plus or minus a tooth or two, it really doesn't matter to them. Inherent inaccuracy of the gear is discounted by too many other factors, like the aberration of starlight and atmospheric refraction, so even a perfect gear still needs to be actively tweaked to keep the scope on track.

For a rotary table though, a person is going to want a fairly strong tooth, and this precludes cutting the thing with a thread tap. And most certainly, he will want a common 40, 60 or 90 to one tooth ratio, not a tooth more or less. And he would like the gap to be the same between all the teeth without a catchup glitch between #40 and #1

I built the first rotary table that I ever owned, using a standard Browning worm and gear. I had enough fun building all the rest of the table, I was quite happy with the results, using the commercially made gear.

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung

You might also consider some kind of large diameter bearing beneath the outer diameter of the table platter. It could be a plain bearing or an anti-friction type, even a track filled with loose steel balls or something. This is because the torque of milling some distance from the rotary table can apply a lot of torque to the platter, and you are currently counting on a lot of support from the threaded on connection, on a relatively slim spindle.
    I'll second that, reckon the bearings want to be on the outside.

Last edited by Pat2000; 12-06-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Worst drawing ever! I just finished the housing drawing... Don't stare at it to long, you might go blind!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build rotary table-housing-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Quick Answer : Yes

Quote Originally Posted by JBV
    Hehe Back to the origional question then: Can i modify it from A to B without making it eccentric of the axle?
    I take it that the gear is hard so the easiest (and possibly most expensive ) way to accurately do the mod is with a Spark Eroder. Maybe a "tame" tool and die making company in your area could give you a quote.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JBV
    I guess i just have to try when i get the mill converted

This is the gear i have in mind http://www.kuggteknik.se/lager2.htm
    Perhaps i should ask for a quote for a custom gear... They seem to have good prices!

Too bad it's in a language I can't read.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's another way to gash the teeth, without the use of a rotary table to start with...

Pretty neat and workable idea, although I don't think it would be necessary to do the 2 sets of holes on the front and rear of the blank; just one set straight through would work fine.

http://webpages.charter.net/mbonfire/wormgear.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dfennell
    Here's another way to gash the teeth, without the use of a rotary table to start with...

Pretty neat and workable idea, although I don't think it would be necessary to do the 2 sets of holes on the front and rear of the blank; just one set straight through would work fine.

http://webpages.charter.net/mbonfire/wormgear.htm
    Looks cool and I think you are right about the holes, since they go away at the end of the process. Do you know of a supplier where one can just buy a set? And what would you think the tooth ratio should be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast