Fly Cutter

Thread: Fly Cutter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fly Cutter

Hi Guys,

I'm a MTT student at NTI and I'll be starting a fly cutter project next week. Similar to the one below.

How should I go about milling the angled head? I considered using a 10 degree angled wedge underneath the part,but i'm open to suggestions if you have a better idea.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I made one (45 years ago) I held it horizontal in a vise and turned the vise to the angle. Then used a woodruff key cutter to make the slot. While it is still set-up for that cut, drill and tap your holes, saves an extra set-up.

good luck, cary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    When I made one (45 years ago) I held it horizontal in a vise and turned the vise to the angle. Then used a woodruff key cutter to make the slot. While it is still set-up for that cut, drill and tap your holes, saves an extra set-up.

good luck, cary
    Thanks. That did'nt even occur to me. One of the Bridgeport vises is already setup with an angled vise.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to say that your better off machining the angle and slot first then turn the shank. Gives you more to hold on to while doing the milling.

cary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share a pic. of my flycutter project at school. The slop in the bridgeport screw threads cost me a 0.050 mistake,but it's on the outside and not going to affect my tooling slot. Next i'm going to turn the finish diameter,then i'll drill and tap.

Yesterday

Today

Enjoy.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've finshed the fly cutter project. here are some pics.

In the lathe turning the shaft and trying to put a 1/4" radius at the base.

I followed the blueprint and my set screw holes were'nt centered. After I double checked the measurements, it was the blueprint and not my mess up. So I drilled three holes in the top slot and the tap broke off in the last hole and I could'nt get it out so I welded up the hole.

Finished fly cutter. My instructor showed me how to chuck the fly cutter in a 3/4" collet and turn the 2.125" diameter on the bridgeport mill. If you have'nt done it or seen it done before let me know and i'll go into more detail on how it's done.

Enjoy.