My Mazak VQC 20/40 running Mazatrol M2 has been stopping in the middle of a program for no obvious reason. No alarms. For a while it would work OK in the morning, but after about 2-3hrs would come to a halt with the spindle still turning. It looked as if it was waiting for the next line of commands, with the 'Busy' light on. When I tried to run "Trace" this showed the same result by hanging indefinitely, but "Shape" always works. If I loaded a very simple program with a single short milling cut then everything works well, no stopping, runs all day, "Trace/Tool Path" all working. The programs that do not work are for only a few drilled and tapped holes, ie nothing long and complicated

I decided that this looked like a deteriorating component on a board performing arithmetic processing, so I bought a complete set of boards and swapped them one by one. This made no difference. I focused on boards FX-01 FX-84, FX-84-1, FX-15/25, FX-27, checked parameters (I used the original set that came with the machine), disconnected batteries and reinstalled everything from scratch. Now it will not run in the morning like it used to, but still no alarms and the simple program runs perfectly at all times of the day. In the "Graphics" mode the "Trace/Tool Path" works for the simple program only, "Shape" still works on every program. So I now have a machine that will only do a short milling cut!

I have run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest something I have not tried?

Richard