Need Help! Mazak M-4 Lathe rear turret only stops @ 2 pocket locations

Thread: Mazak M-4 Lathe rear turret only stops @ 2 pocket locations

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mazak M-4 Lathe rear turret only stops @ 2 pocket locations

Hello all,
    My 1990 Mazak m-4 turning center decided to throw me a curve ball today, all of the sudden its skipping over all but 2 of the tools on rear turret. I called Mazak and they were not much help so it looks like ill be tearing into it tomorrow. Does anybody know if the rear turret is controlled by an encoder or is it read switches. Mazak guy seemed to think it is read switches but im not sure of their location nor am I able to find any info on them in the manuals. Does the entire turret assembly need to be disassembled to fix the problem? Any advise is appreciated.
    Thank You

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mazak M-4 Lathe rear turret only stops @ 2 pocket locations

The rear turret is controlled by reed switches. They are located behind the rear turret and are fairly easy to get to. I found that the board the reed switches are mounted on has 2 24 volt inputs that are connected by a jumper. The pins at these locations showed lots of discoloration and no continuity at the board. I pulled it all apart and the contacts were horribly corroded inside. Its all cleaned up and that part seems to be working now, the problem is when diagnosing I was adjusting the magnet location in the arm that passes over the reed switches and managed to overtighten the set screw and break it. I ordered a replacement from msc that fits but I think its to powerful and is engaging the switches to early. The original magnet was square .125 thick and about .800 long. All I found to replace it with is a round .188 dia magnet that fits perfectly in the round hole. I was not able to find a part number in my manuals from Mazak for the arm or the magnet. I plan on tinkering with more today, any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thank You