Problem Tailstock question on 1985 Mazak slant40

Thread: Tailstock question on 1985 Mazak slant40

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tailstock question on 1985 Mazak slant40

We recently purchased a 1985 Mazak Slant 40 lathe and are just getting our feet wet. Everything seems to work well on the machine. One item I cannot get to move is the tailstock and I believe it is because of something I may, or may not be doing correctly. I can get the spindle in the tailstock to extend, retract, and hold in place. This works in "jog" mode and the lights on the buttons light-up when I press them. I cannot get the entire tailstock to release and "relocate" to another position. I believe that I am doing something wrong because the lights on the buttons to move the tailstock do not light up when I press them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Slant40 tailstocks move by pulling them with the Z axis. There should be a U shaped bracket on the turret near the bottom. (many are broken off at this age) There is a pin on the tailstock body that is controlled by M-code (M25?) You can position the tailstock by manually positioning it and using jog mode. On the control (T1 or T2) there is a button called "Tail stock joint" that controls the pin. The pin will not actuate unless the switch on the turret is in the proper position. Most machines that age have broken long ago and the tailstock never moves. Hope that helps you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your prompt help, MrMazak. U shaped bracket on the turret is missing, as you said maybe the situation. On my T2 control, I see the "tail stock Joint" that controls the pin. You say that the pin will not actuate unless the switch on the turret is in the proper position. What switch on the turret are you referring? Is it, or was it, connected to the U-bracket? Thanks for your time.

Downloads
    Uploads

MrMazak is on to it...
    You have to visually locate a female and male coupling, one on the tailstock, and the corresponding on the lower part of the turret. Jog Z till they line up pretty close and unlock the tailstock. Then, couple the two, where the part on the turret (if memory serves me) moves down to link up the the tailstock. Once unlocked and coupled, you again jog Z slowly to where you want the tailstock body. De-couple and lock tailstock in position.

Should be an access plate on the side of the tailstock that you take off to set the limit switches that control where the spindle goes out to, and one that controls how far back it retracts.

I've never seen one broken off... but it is a U-shaped gizmo with the sides tapered, not straight, so you've got a little leeway when coupling the two. I seem to recall it being on the turret side. On yours the pin seems to be the controlled part? Mazak calls the coupling of the pin and the socket the "Joint".

I suggest very highly writing down (laborious, I know) the parameters that you will be prone to change. Things like those that define the live center, so if you change it, you can restore it to help reduce crashing.

The other things you'll want to keep a log of are parameters that control retraction on boring bars. This is REALLY important if you have, say, a large boring bar in and retract/approaches for a large bar, then switch to a small bar where you don't have as much room. Crashing is way too easy.

Not sure about that vintage control, but you should also have TPC (tool path control) or something like it in programming mode. This allows you to manually input conventional G-code for times when the Mazak just does not want to do what you want it to do.

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

This is strictly a mechanical issue. No parameters are used in controlling the tailstock on these old machines. The roller micro switch should be on the T/S, the dog should be on the Z axis by the turret. Once you make the switch the joint switch will activate the pin and unclamp the T/S body. It should automatically go into Jog mode to move it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got into the shop this morning, and lo and behold, my "U-bracket" is not broken. I also see the limit switch plain as day. Thank you, MrMazak. I jogged the Z axis down, locked in the pin, and successfully jogged the tailstock forward and backward. Two more quick questions regarding the tailstock: 1) When I release the pin from the Z-axis, does this automatically lock the tailstock in place? and 2) The lights on the pushbuttons for the tailstock do not light up on movement when I jog it. Do they only come on in "Auto" mode when programmed, or am I doing something wrong, again? The pushbuttons for the tail spindle do work in "jog" mode when I press them.

Downloads
    Uploads

1: Yes
    2: The lights are for the quill. Inside the body is a rod with two dogs. There are two roller micro switches. One for retract position (that should never have to be moved) and one for forward position. Once you move the body into position extend the quill to the workpiece. Set the second dog over the switch on the left side. The left green light should come on when you do. This is for safety in auto mode using M11/M12 to move the quill. The program will not continue if M11 is used until the green light on left is on. If you use the quill manually like most do, you do not have to worry about the lights. The three position tail switch should be in the 12 o'clock position in auto mode using M codes in the program. If not it should be at 10 o'clock engaged to the workpiece.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tailstock question on 1985 Mazak slant40

Im having a similar problem with my Integrex 30Y. Im trying to move the tailstock carriage in a joint move however when moving it forwards im getting an error code 252 for axis move misopetation. I can however move it backwards this problem only exists when moving it forwards.