Need Help! Alarm 221 (Turret Sensor Malfunction)

Thread: Alarm 221 (Turret Sensor Malfunction)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alarm 221 (Turret Sensor Malfunction)

Hey guys, I have a Mazak QT250HP, and I am getting alarm 221 Turret Clamp Sensor Malfunction). The turret will rotate,and stop on the correct tool, but is not completely locking in. The screen shows the correct tool ID, but when I try to rotate the turret by hand to see if it is locked in, it feels spongy. When I power it down for a reboot, the turret releases, and free-wheels...bringing the heaviest tool on the turret down toward the bottom side! I took the valve off the back, and checked the solenoids and cleaned the valve plunger. It all looks good. When I rotate the turret, in either direction, I hear the valve in the back click, but its not as loud and strong sounding as it used to be. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks....

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It does the same thing to the machine I use at work same slant 60n Everytime I try run tool 1 it pop up alarm 221 turret sensor malfunction. So how do you fit this problem? Or should I let my boss know so he can call maintain guy to fix it?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming you have a hydraulic driven turret and not a servo driven. So correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you clamp and unclamp the turret manually, at least partially? If so, you probably just knocked the turret out of alignment and it is not meshing with the curvix coupling. There should be a taper lock bushing either on the turret itself or the drive gear that you can loosen and manually position the turret so that it meshes perfectly with the curvix coupling when you clamp.

You could also have a prox switch problem. Maybe one is stuck on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Night Shift Wiz View Post
    I'm assuming you have a hydraulic driven turret and not a servo driven. So correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you clamp and unclamp the turret manually, at least partially? If so, you probably just knocked the turret out of alignment and it is not meshing with the curvix coupling. There should be a taper lock bushing either on the turret itself or the drive gear that you can loosen and manually position the turret so that it meshes perfectly with the curvix coupling when you clamp.

You could also have a prox switch problem. Maybe one is stuck on?
    I did the on the screen monitor has unclamp turret manually did that turret seem to pop open and close but still not run. Tool #1 once in a while it does this and it so hard to get it run normally. Do you know actually where the taper lock bushing? cause i look every I don't see it.

Sorry but what do you meant by "manually position the turret so that it meshes perfectly with the curvix coupling when you clamp."??

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nleo22 View Post
    I did the on the screen monitor has unclamp turret manually did that turret seem to pop open and close but still not run. Tool #1 once in a while it does this and it so hard to get it run normally. Do you know actually where the taper lock bushing? cause i look every I don't see it.

Sorry but what do you meant by "manually position the turret so that it meshes perfectly with the curvix coupling when you clamp."??
    It's possible that the turret is out of alignment so that when you clamp it, it sets down on top of the curvix coupling teeth instead of in between them. Therefore it doesn't clamp fully and turn on the prox switch. IF that is the case there is a taper lock bushing that once you loosen all the screws will let you spin the turret to any position you want independent of the drive sytem. If your turret sets on a splined shaft, the turret spline is the bushing that you can loosen. If it doesn't, then the bushing it probably in the big drive gear back by the valves.

Before you waste time looking for the bushing you must make sure that misalignment is the problem. You should be able to mark or measure the edge of the turret when it is fully clamped and fully unclamped. Then, anything in between means it's not seating fully and probably misaligned. If it IS seating fully and you still get the alarm then you should look at the prox switch or possibly the turret encoder is out of sync. You sync the encoder by being at tool #1 (fully clamped) and turn the encoder until the little LED lights up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I really stupid fixing thing like this. Sorry but where the brushing tape location? And unscrew where? Behide machine in front? There lot of screws in machine Have any pic to guide me thought this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I really stupid fixing thing like this. Sorry but where the brushing tape location? And unscrew where? Behide machine in front? There lot of screws in machine Have any pic to guide me thought this?
    Start from scratch. What controller do you have? Fusion? Nexus? T32? T2?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Start from scratch. What controller do you have? Fusion? Nexus? T32? T2?
    It's mazak slant turn 60n " mazatrol T plus" control I think

Downloads
    Uploads

It's mazak slant turn 60n " mazatrol T plus" control I think
    This one is probably hydraulic driven. What happened to the QT250?

Anyway, need to verify if problem is not clamping fully or something else. Only happens on tool #1? Does turret have backlash when unclamped? Can you rock it back and forth unclamped? If so, a heavy tool could put turret off balance at position #1.

First, figure out if it's clamping fully when it alarms. Or if it's fully unclamped or partially clamped.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This one is probably hydraulic driven. What happened to the QT250?

Anyway, need to verify if problem is not clamping fully or something else. Only happens on tool #1? Does turret have backlash when unclamped? Can you rock it back and forth unclamped? If so, a heavy tool could put turret off balance at position #1.

First, figure out if it's clamping fully when it alarms. Or if it's fully unclamped or partially clamped.
    When I unclamp turret it push to left I don't see it push back. When clamp it push to right which is back to normal position but tool number doesn't show on the screen and later it alarm show up. It happen to tool 1 and 10 sometime 2. When switch to tool 1 I can't unclamp untill alarm show up than that when I can unclamp it and close it as many time I want

Downloads
    Uploads

When I unclamp turret it push to left I don't see it push back. When clamp it push to right which is back to normal position but tool number doesn't show on the screen and later it alarm show up. It happen to tool 1 and 10 sometime 2. When switch to tool 1 I can't unclamp untill alarm show up than that when I can unclamp it and close it as many time I want
    If you pull the cover off the right side of the turret housing you should see a small encoder with a single LED on cover. The light should be "on" in position #1. If not, loosen screws and rotate slightly back and forth until light is on. Then retighten screws.

While inside the back, check the two prox switches for clamp and unclamp confirmation. One may be slightly out of adjustment.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you pull the cover off the right side of the turret housing you should see a small encoder with a single LED on cover. The light should be "on" in position #1. If not, loosen screws and rotate slightly back and forth until light is on. Then retighten screws.

While inside the back, check the two prox switches for clamp and unclamp confirmation. One may be slightly out of adjustment.
    All the way from the right? The big circle cover? Or the small circle cover under the turret?

Downloads
    Uploads

All the way from the right? The big circle cover? Or the small circle cover under the turret?
    I might be wrong. I just looked at our Slant 40 and it appears to be different than our other Mazaks. You might get a face full of oil taking off the round cover on the right side. Let me look through the manuals and get back to you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Our Slant 40 has 8 prox switches instead of an encoder for turret position. They are behind the big round cover on the back (right side). You could have a bad one and that might explain why only tool #1 and #10 give alarms. Most have a little LED that lights up when it senses metal. That might be enough to help you find the bad one. If not, you will have to go to the diagnostics screen and look at I/O bits. That's probably beyond your capability. Good luck. I'm going home for the night.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by motif View Post
    Hey guys, I have a Mazak QT250HP, and I am getting alarm 221 Turret Clamp Sensor Malfunction). The turret will rotate,and stop on the correct tool, but is not completely locking in. The screen shows the correct tool ID, but when I try to rotate the turret by hand to see if it is locked in, it feels spongy. When I power it down for a reboot, the turret releases, and free-wheels...bringing the heaviest tool on the turret down toward the bottom side! I took the valve off the back, and checked the solenoids and cleaned the valve plunger. It all looks good. When I rotate the turret, in either direction, I hear the valve in the back click, but its not as loud and strong sounding as it used to be. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks....
    I have the exact same problem and i cant figure it out. Did you solve the problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Alarm 221 (Turret Sensor Malfunction)

Check odd/ even polarity proximity switch or angle encoder count bits. It won't clamp if odd polarity isn't satisfied. ie. 1 bit or 3 bits high. Also check clamp unclamp relays.
    Use input and output table in diagnostics and write a truth table for each turret position. X is input Y is output in diagnostics. Find bits in electrical diagrams, some have logic written in a table on the turret electrical diagrams.