Hi,

I am beginer on 5 axis programming with mastercam, and recently had a problem how to make a programm for milliing the thread on the cylinder.
Problem is the item size and it calls some issues with mastercam 2017.
cylinder diameter 322mm, lenght 860, thread groove shape radial R 3mm pitch 10 mm. Finaly I have programmed machine manualy it is not a problem but I would like to know how to do that with Mastercam.
My plan was to do that in two operations, rough 10mm endmill flat twisted 45 degree in B axis and cut rough 45 degree thread groove rotating cylinder in C axis, then 6 mm ballnose cutter positioned 90 deegree in B.

I did try multiaxis milling flow strategy but there are some issues.
1: helix curve generated on 860 mm lenght is splited in two parts
2 when generate solid cylinder and use swept shape to create thread groove on cylinder it is also splited in two parts (helix along path is splited)
3 when generate groove surface from solid it is also splited in two pieces
4 after untrimming those surfaces to get nice lead in and out on the ends of bar, both pieces are diferent so it is impossible to create one milling operration on both surface pieces.

I did try multiaxis contur milling
for ballnose cutter I managed how to do that and it works fine
but I cant force mastercam to use tool in 45 degre plane

I understand that answer for my questions is quite dyficoult in words, but might someone who knows how to do that can record some tutorial and share with the comunity.

Please forgive me my pure english