Conversion to Imperial...

Thread: Conversion to Imperial...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Conversion to Imperial...

I have a simple drawing in Metric from AutoCad and I want to mill it in Inches but when I import the .dxf into MasterCam its still is in metric even though the scale says inches, any ideas?

When I create toolpath's its obvious its still in metric...

Adam,

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conversion to Imperial...-snag-0099-jpg   Conversion to Imperial...-snag-0100-jpg   Conversion to Imperial...-snag-0102-jpg  
    G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Conversion to Imperial...

Maybe not the right solution, but I have the opposite problem. I always create drawings in metric in my CAD software (not AutoCAD), want to mill in metric but when I open the DXF file it always says inches in my CAM. The easy solution for me is that before I import a DXF file I open it in a text editor, for example in Notepad, look for the variable group $MEASUREMENT and change the second parameter from 0 to 1. I guess in your case it must be changed from 1 to 0. Try it if this solves your issue at least temporarily. The DXF files are simple text files, change only the $MEASUREMENT and don't touch anything else in the file, don't remove any space, tabs or anything else. It may not be your problem at all, but maybe worth a try. Also, I don't know how drawing scale is connected to drawing units in AutoCAD, perhaps those are different settings.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply A_Camera,

I did some more digging around I realized that even though the drawing is in metric and when applying counters that it was generating them in imperial, it just didn't feel right. So to prove it I just created a simple contour at the full depth of the part and all was good, in this case it turns out to a typical PICINIC (problem in chair not in computer)

Have a good one.

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Drawings have units attached to them, so when importing a drawing that is in Metric and you want to program in inches, you will need to scale the metric drawing to inches. You will do this by scaling the imported drawing by .03937, this will convert the metric drawing to inches. If you want to go from metric to inches you would use a scale of 25.4. Solid models do not have scale so you can import them with no conversion issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seijack View Post
    . You will do this by scaling the imported drawing by .03937, this will convert the metric drawing to inches. If you want to go from metric to inches you would use a scale of 25.4. Solid models do not have scale so you can import them with no conversion issues.
    Just to add...... the input boxes can utilise a equation input for greater accuracy... type in ie 1/25.4 ( =0.03937007874015748031496062992126 )

they also can use inch input data on a metric dwg ie 1" (=25.4)
    or the reverse(metric in an inch dwg).....25mm (=0.9842519685039370078740157480315)