Worm Gear

Thread: Worm Gear

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Worm Gear

Hi Guys

I have drawn this worm gear and would like to machine it on a Doosan 2000sy with live tooling and y axis. In mastercam what toolpath would be best using the live tooling with a 1/4" ballnose end mill. Can a C axis tool path read from a solid model? I have tried using mill muti axis flow tool path with the best results, but the dam tool only wants to feed down one angle then back up the second angle, this causes way to much material for the cutter. could there be a tool path that would cut multi pass's for the width then step down to clear all the material first?

The gear is 5" dia x 1.25 pitch.

Any help would be great

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worm Gear-worm-gear-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up using a 1/4" ballnose end mill with 5 Axis flow toolpath locked to 4 axis and follow surface pattern for the cut parameter. What really helped was to extrud the tooth profile in sections (8 sections to be exact) this created 8 separate surfaces to control toolpaths and depth of cuts. I first created a roughing program leaving .100 on walls and .025 on floor.
    The finishing program ran smoothly at 1 hr 30 minutes cycle time with about 18000 lines of code!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worm Gear-20150731_183022-jpg