Need Help! CNC Machine Leveling

Thread: CNC Machine Leveling

Downloads
    Uploads

Question CNC Machine Leveling

This is a Call to All the CNC Technicians and Mechanics out there.

Question:
    When adjusting the Levelers on a CNC Machine,
    Is it acceptable to use a high power pneumatic Impact wrench on the Leveling Bolts?
    Is it a safe Practice?
    Why, or Why not? Thoughts?

I recently witnessed a technician, banging away at the bolts with a 1/2 impact Wrench.
    the levelers were too stiff to turn with the wrench, and this was easy and convenient for him.

I would not condone the use of an Impact Wrench, and find it unprofessional to use it for this application.

So I'm interested to see what your thoughts are?

Here are my initial thoughts.
    Leveling Bolts usually have a very fine thread, to allow for minute adjustments.
    This thread could easily be damaged by the blows from the impact wrench, especially if dirt found it's way into the thread.
    It is even frowned upon, to use long extension bars, because the force on the threads could cause binding / damage.
    If the leveler has so much weight on it, that you can't turn it..
    a hydraulic jack / port-a-power should be used to remove weight off the leveler to make adjustment easier
    (or you have them so far out of adjustment, that only one or two are carrying all the weight, go back and readjust them all )

1) Use jack to remove weight,
    2) adjust,
    3) release jack,
    4) check level.
    5) repeat

here is a technical bulletin on leveling a press..
    http://www.vibrodynamics.com/english/bulletin/ml647.pdf

The last page has some hints.
    While it doesn't mention an impact wrench, it does discus use of an extension, and why it shouldn't be used.
    I've tried to find other reference materials, that might discuss this, but haven't located any others.
    most I found, discuss very general about adjusting the levelers, but don't give any Do's and Don'ts
    if you have any, please share.

I've been in this Field for over 37 years.
    This is the first time I encountered someone using an Impact Wrench on the leveling bolts.