Nikken table repair.

Thread: Nikken table repair.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nikken table repair.

I bought a Nikken 5AX-170 table some years back and finally got round to fix it up for use.
    The unit consist of a horizontal spindle with another mounted to that with it's spindle radial to the axis of the first. The unit runs off two Nikken Alpha controllers.

What I hope to achieve....

1. refurbish the first table for use as 4th axis with one of the Nikken Alpha controllers.
    2. Refurbish the second table to have 5 axis capability using the alpha's.
    3. Modify the electrics so i can run as a true 4th axis. (and maybe also 5th if needed)

After cleaning and painting the horizontal axis housing and covers, I am now in the process of re-assembling with new bearings and seals where needed. (none of the main bearings will be replaced)
    The problem I am having is that while adjusting out the backlash, the worm gets very tight in one spot per revolution of the worm. It would seem that the table was crashed at some point and the worm got damaged or slightly bent in that spot. The right way would be to send the table to be reconditioned and the worm and worm gear reground. This is however not an option for me and I either have to live with the 100 micron play on the circumference of the table, or I need to do something in-house. I was thinking of putting a very fine grinding paste on the worm/ worm gear and running it like that while slowly moving the worm closer to the worm gear over a period of time. This would lap the worm and worm gear to a perfect fit and I should be able to come close to the 5-15 micron as specified in the manual.

Would this be a capital crime or could it be a workable solution? I do know that the worm gear has some fancy coating on it that might suffer s a result.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.