Madcam vs. Rhinocam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madcam vs. Rhinocam

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Madcam vs. Rhinocam

I have used Rhinocam but do not have the current version for Rhino 4.0. Can you enlighten me on the benefits and differences between the two. Is Rhinocam/Rhino Art worth the extra money?

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.antes View Post
    I have used Rhinocam but do not have the current version for Rhino 4.0. Can you enlighten me on the benefits and differences between the two. Is Rhinocam/Rhino Art worth the extra money?

Hi Dan,

Do you have Rhino 4? If so, go to the Madcam website and download the Madcam 4 demo.

You will find that Madcam has most of the toolpath strategies that RC has though they will be named diferently and some may be inside some of the other toolpath menus. Madcam 4 comes fully packaged with remachining, 4th axis auto indexing as well as 5th axis indexing via user input. Do a little comparison between the two packages and you will quickly see the difference.

If you are interested in acquiring Madcam 3 or 4, contact me via pm with your email address. There are some changes coming to Madcam's marketing but I am not at liberty to make any announcments.

I am the US re-seller for Madcam as well as support.

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would not trade rcam rart for anything else.

Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Madcam does not have arc movement with G2/G3 command, this is for me a big difference with Rhinocam. G-code made with MAdcam is sometimes simply too big for my Morbidelli

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does Rhinocam provide G2/G3 for 3D model toolpaths as well as 2.5D?

I had been looking at this also a few days ago.

Here is a related thread in the general CAM discussions:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62189

Thanks,
    Eric

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

zamzak I have sent Joakim an email requesting him to answer this one for you, but I am sure it will be Monday before he checks his emails. As for the file sizes, I have used gcodes from Madcam, Mastercam and Bobcad/cam and the Madcam files have been the smallest so far. I'm not saying you don't have the problem, and I can for sure see where the G2/3 would reduce some of the lines, but for me that hasn't been an issue.

etzz, why don't you download Madcam and compare them side by side? I think you will find an easy to use system even though it doesn't do G2/3 arcs.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

G02/G03 is no issue for 3D (programs is large with or without). Problem is, when I make 2D parts with simple V-carving on it and have for one piece 10000 steps and make 10 or more at one CNC table. Program is simply too large to handle (Morbi's Xilog has its own interpreter from txt ISO G-code to his G-code) and take too much time to calculate, sometimes up 1/2 hour.

Yet make programs with Bobcad (make usable G-code, but CAD section is ..... horrible), but want to buy CAM software for my Rhino, to make work faster and without opening two or more CAD/CAM software at one time.

I found at Rhino3D page MADCAM, i think this software is just what i need, after make some test codes i realize, that doesnt't have arc movement.. i just can't believe it.
    But after all, MADCAm is made por Mold&Die and not so much for us... woodworkers

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not run a script to use the same code 10 times?

Also I have had programs with 1,500,000 plus lines and no troubles?

It's not much problem to make something HUGE and clog up a computer..

If your files get big in rhino mesh them, and hide the nurb.... Make sure to use layers and name them properly.... This will not help g code size but the two inconjunction = GIANT...

Thanks Marc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pointcloud, you probably don't have Morbidelli Workcentre with XILOG.
    Xilog has it's own limitations. It's his problem and not Rhino.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

zamzak you are correct that Madcam was made for mold and die making, but Joakim has been adding many features requested by wood workers, myself being one of them. There are many new features that were designed just for wood workers, some specifically designed for cutting of sheet goods. My suggestion, is email Joakim and ask him for the G2/3. I have been in contact with another Madcam user that wrote a script that will take the Madcam output and run it through a converter and so as to be able to use G2 and 3. I haven't had a need personally, so haven't pressed the issue, but I will also contact Joakim to see if this is something that can be incorporated directly into the program.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zamzak View Post
    G02/G03 is no issue for 3D (programs is large with or without). Problem is, when I make 2D parts with simple V-carving on it and have for one piece 10000 steps and make 10 or more at one CNC table. Program is simply too large to handle (Morbi's Xilog has its own interpreter from txt ISO G-code to his G-code) and take too much time to calculate, sometimes up 1/2 hour.

Yet make programs with Bobcad (make usable G-code, but CAD section is ..... horrible), but want to buy CAM software for my Rhino, to make work faster and without opening two or more CAD/CAM software at one time.

I found at Rhino3D page MADCAM, i think this software is just what i need, after make some test codes i realize, that doesnt't have arc movement.. i just can't believe it.
    But after all, MADCAm is made por Mold&Die and not so much for us... woodworkers

Downloads
    Uploads

You are correct.... I do not have that type control... Is it PC based?

Thanks Marc

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

zamzak I sent you a pm.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How does Madcam expert compare to Rhinocam pro in terms of features. Madcam is almost $1500 less than Rhinocam pro right now. Can Madcam pretty much do the same as Rhinocam?

Athough I'm not going to be making molds I'm going to be making some bike parts out of aluminum and plastic prototypes for people. I need some 2.5D features and drilling capabilities and it looks like that is covered in both Madcam and rhinocam. Any thoughts on the two programes side by side?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dirtdiggler if you are going to be making mostly 2d type parts, get the entry level Madcam. It is a lot less expensive and will do everything you need, plus still give you lots of 3d options as well. One thing to keep in mind. The entry level version of Madcam is what Joakim (the software writer) used for years making molds! The expert level has 4 and 5 axis strategies and a few more 3 axis goodies than the entry level. If you don't need it, don't spend the $$.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    How does Madcam expert compare to Rhinocam pro in terms of features. Madcam is almost $1500 less than Rhinocam pro right now. Can Madcam pretty much do the same as Rhinocam?

Athough I'm not going to be making molds I'm going to be making some bike parts out of aluminum and plastic prototypes for people. I need some 2.5D features and drilling capabilities and it looks like that is covered in both Madcam and rhinocam. Any thoughts on the two programes side by side?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike,

I'm not going to be making any molds but I'am going to be making 3D part... for instance maybe a bicycle stem, pedals, or a plastic shell of a cell phone. So I need to be able to at least mill one side and flip the stock and mill the other side. I have my eye on a rotary axis but if I can get away with flipping the stock over and milling each side at first using the entry level Madcam than that's what I will probably do. Is two sided milling pretty easy with the entry level? I demo'd cut3D which is a raster type software but it's dead simple for doing the type of 2 to 4 sided cuts. Madcam is obviously much more advanced with what it can do with the cutter, but I need to make sure it's the right software for the type of stuff I will be making.

Thanks for your feedback.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dirtdiggler,

It is possible to cut 3D parts with madCAM as well as cutting molds.
    You can also do two sided milling by flipping the model with toolpaths in Rhino.
    The toolpaths can be post processed from one side at a time if using the entry level or all in one setup with the expert level if using a 4-axis machine.

If you like, please have a look at this two sided milling video.
    http://www.madcamcnc.com/madCAM42/ma...ided%20milling

Joakim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joakim,

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm starting to do simple 3D two sided milling so this video helps a lot. Is there a way to add the tabs in automatically or do I just add them in on the model in Rhino?

My future purchase is going to be a rotary axis but this 2 sided technique will work perfect untill that happens.

Thank You!

Downloads
    Uploads

Dirtdiggler,

It’s pretty easy to create the tabs in Rhino.
    I think it could be more automatic if making a Rhino-script for it.

Here is a video for how to create the tabs in Rhino.
    http://www.madcamcnc.com/madCAM42/madCAMShowVideo.asp?link=Qg_m6wSXwIU&title=Two%20s ided%20milling

Joakim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joakim,

I have some more questions if you don't mind.

-In Madcam Expert, can you or someone else explain the easiest way to do a 4 sided cut using a vertical rotary table? I want to be able to attach my rectangular stock to my manual rotary table and turn/index 90 degrees, mill it, turn 90 degress mill again, and so on.... I do not have the table automated (4th axis) yet but I wiil soon.

-Is there a way to post process the 90 degree increments all into one file automatically at the end?

- Is there also a way to view the above on the 'simulate' player, for instance simulate the stock being rotated and the tool cutting each 90 degree side?

- When I use the '3 Axis' mode I noticed that when I create a toolpath on top and flip the stock and create a tool path on the other side that 'Simulate' will show the toolpath cutting on the incorrect side unless I flip the stock back. Is this just the normal way the preview works or am I doing something wrong?

- In your demo videos (which are very helpful), I see you have the rotary table animated in Rhino... is this something I create manually or is this a feature in the new version? Either way it is cool, I was just wondering if I'm missing that I can open up in 4.2.

Thanks for your help!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DD,

I will answer best I can in side your text! BTW Joakim is away on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Hi Joakim,

I have some more questions if you don't mind.

-In Madcam Expert, can you or someone else explain the easiest way to do a 4 sided cut using a vertical rotary table? I want to be able to attach my rectangular stock to my manual rotary table and turn/index 90 degrees, mill it, turn 90 degress mill again, and so on.... I do not have the table automated (4th axis) yet but I wiil soon. Sorry but to get it to work automatically, your table has to be automated. That does not mean you cannot make the part doing it the way you describe, but you will need to make 4 programs and stitch them together if you want it all in one code.

-Is there a way to post process the 90 degree increments all into one file automatically at the end?See above response as it is going to be the same.

- Is there also a way to view the above on the 'simulate' player, for instance simulate the stock being rotated and the tool cutting each 90 degree side?

- When I use the '3 Axis' mode I noticed that when I create a toolpath on top and flip the stock and create a tool path on the other side that 'Simulate' will show the toolpath cutting on the incorrect side unless I flip the stock back. Is this just the normal way the preview works or am I doing something wrong?If you are using 3 axis and rotate a part, you have to reselect the part after rotation to keep the tool path oriented properly. This was something I had to learn the hard way!

- In your demo videos (which are very helpful), I see you have the rotary table animated in Rhino... is this something I create manually or is this a feature in the new version? Either way it is cool, I was just wondering if I'm missing that I can open up in 4.2. I may be mistaken, but I don't think the animation is in Rhino, but in the simulator. On the other hand, this may be a video I have not seen, so if you don't mind, post a link.

Thanks for your help!
    Hopefully this has been of a help to you.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast