Newbie to MADCam - Need help, Please

Thread: Newbie to MADCam - Need help, Please

Default Newbie to MADCam - Need help, Please

Hi guys
    Please help. I have watched the videos on YouTube, running Win10,Rhino5, Pre-release MADCam. I have changed over from RhinoCAM and am having a huge problem with understanding the workflow to doing a "simple" Flip and then Rotary for milling Wax items (Rings mainly) on a 4 axis machine, MiniTech MiniMill 3. Is there anywhere that I can find "instructions/examples/videos/strategies ?
    What I can't seem to get through me thick skull is:
    1) Rotate 180 deg for flip and then return to 0
    2)On Rotary, to mill only certain sections and then other areas, or alternatively to rotate to a certain degree, mill a section using 3 axis commands, and so on. Is there a jewelery module for this "Dumb" Mill challenged person?

Similar Threads:
    Crippled Old Biker Basta#d

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie to MADCam - Need help, Please

There are quite a few ways to approach this ..... but this is the easiest to start with

use the five axis option buttons ( you do not need a five axis machine to use the drive surface options as long as the drive surface is flat and or curved in the fourth axis ) think about a sleeve around your ring anything in the shadow of that sleeve will be cut to the chosen depth.

This drive surface can be anywhere in the 360 degrees around the part and it can be shaped to cut only what you want ..... like inside a hole
    or inside the bezel on a ring

There are plenty of videos on how to create a tool path with drive surfaces

Quote Originally Posted by Gregore View Post
    There are quite a few ways to approach this ..... but this is the easiest to start with

use the five axis option buttons ( you do not need a five axis machine ... drive surfaces
    Thanks for the reply Gregore, I only have the 4 Axis + version so when I try any 5 axis "Tools" they don't work

Downloads
    Uploads

well that certainly makes it harder to understand efficient work flows ...... but using boundary curves to control where the cutting takes place and its borders , one can also use a surface plane to control how deep the cutter can go .

i am including a link to a standard 4 axis cut strategy and you can also look up NSCNC they used madcam for quite some time then shifted to their own system , so some of the early video use madcam layout and strategies .

hope some of this will be helpful

Thank you, will give that a go