Mystery missing bit on planar finish path

Thread: Mystery missing bit on planar finish path

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mystery missing bit on planar finish path

Hi,
    I can't understand why the planar finishing toolpaths keep missing a bit, the highest part of this slightly convex wing shape. I haven't had this problem before.

If I set the angle limit on the planar finish cut as zero, it's fine and it cuts the whole shape. But I want to be able to limit the angle so that I can finish the steeper sloped parts with Z finish cuts. But if I set any angle limit - 10, 30 degrees etc, it keeps skipping the same area, however it's almost level and should be included in the cut area.

I've tried lifting the clipping plane, and also adding Z height to the madcam box, but neither of these fixes it.

Any ideas? All help very much appreciated! I'm no expert but I've used Madcam for this sort of thing quite a bit and haven't had this problem before.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery missing bit on planar finish path-screen-shot-2017-11-19-8-04-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Raise the top of box?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mystery missing bit on planar finish path

Yes as mentioned below I tried adding height to the madcam box but it didn't help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try the between curves toolpath.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got this reply back from Joakim at Madcam support (sorry it will be a bit clunky without the pictures):

This is a bug when using flat cutters. It has to do with the clipping planes. It will be a fix for this with next release, but there is a workaround. (see below).

The clipping planes are stored together with each toolpath. If the clipping planes are invisible and you recalculate a toolpath, the clipping planes will be set to the same levels as was used when the toolpath was created the first time.
    If you have the latest prerelease of madCAM, you can change the clipping planes even when recalculating a toolpath, but it will only work if the clipping planes are visible.

1) After selecting the model and recalculating the first toolpath. It's still missing a bit.

2) Checking the clipping planes by making them visible.

3) Raise the top clipping by moving it up in Rhino.

4) Keep the clipping planes visible in Rhino and then recalculate the toolpath.

Now the new level of the top clipping plane is stored together with the toolpath.

To avoid this problem when using flat cutters, you can raise the top clipping plane before you create the toolpath. The top clipping plane has to be higher than half of the cutter diameter when using an angle limit.
    This is because madCAM is using a ball cutter to calculate the normal vectors for the angle limit checking.