4th Axis Toolpath Test

Thread: 4th Axis Toolpath Test

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4th Axis Toolpath Test

I created a 2" long, 1.5" diameter concave roller centered on the X axis as my first shot at a simple 4th axis test:

I select the model and a 0.1" ball nose tool ... OK.

I select model stock ... OK

Then create a box region around the model to give the tool room to run. (No clipping planes defined.)

I set the X axis as the rotational axis:

When I try to generate tool paths, I get the error:

I did notice that setting the 4th axis direction also resets the region back to the size of the model ... I
    had to set the region again before trying to gen the tool paths ... even doing that I still am doing something wrong and generating the same error.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong here?

-------------------------------
    If I don't select the stock or set the region, paths are generated, but the simulator doesn't have any stock to start milling from.

Appreciate any help!

(Rhino 3dm file zipped/attached)

Thanks!

Bruce

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th Axis Toolpath Test-sim-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-axis-rotation-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-stock-region-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-modelstock-jpg  

4th Axis Toolpath Test-toolpath-fail-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-box-region-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-roller-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Pick far left, center of cylinder and move it to 0,0,0. (On left if your rotary table is on left of machine)

I also always draw a construction line x direction starting at 0,0,0 make it extend past part for ease of clicking. Then draw a z construction line middle of cylinder straight up.

I use these construction lines to "pick" my axis of rotation, and my spindle direction

Downloads
    Uploads

Side note, when picking toolpaths, and postprocessing... you need to know cylinder dia. If it's 2" you nerd to make sure you have atleast a +1" z height for clearence. Post window use 0,0,1.25" (this will give you .25" safety height)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4th Axis Toolpath Test

I drew in the revolution X and spindle Z lines plus made sure the left center of the roller was at the origin. I made sure the cylinder region was well over sized.

I still get the same tool path error when attempting 4 axis roughing.

Even though I had not set Z Clipping Planes, I thought I would go in and set them well out of the way too, but when trying to pick a z-plane, it created circular X-planes. This is confusing.

I am clearly missing something in the process of setting the stock and setting the tool operational space.

It would really be helpful when there is a toolpath going out of bounds ... some type of error display of where the problem is first encountered even if it was a single XYZ point.

--------
    If I select the stock model and go directly to the simulator, the display is not a cylinder before machining, but the finished part without any toolpaths generated:

Scratch, scratch.

I have tried every permutation I can think of, but no luck.

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th Axis Toolpath Test-4-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-3-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-2-jpg   4th Axis Toolpath Test-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you specify a 4 axis machine in machine library?

Downloads
    Uploads

BINGO!

Evidently when I selected the CNC6000 4axis machine and files to begin with I forgot to hit the little save button and just clicked OK after setting the file specs. Second time I made that mistake. Duh! Toolpaths gen perfectly now.

When my simulation starts, I get the finished geometry rather than an uncut stock ... so the tool and axis move fine, but do not simulate cuts to the stock.

I even tried placing a full, uncut cylinder over the model and selected it as the model stock, but that didn't help.

Is madCAM able to simulate cutting stock in 4&5 axis modes and I am just missing something in my stock or simulation setup?

Thanks for your great assists!!!

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th Axis Toolpath Test-roller-rough-finish-passes-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

At this time it only simulates 3 axis stock removal

Downloads
    Uploads

Ouch! No 4axis stock removal sim is a disappointment.

My 30 day trial just locked me out tonight anyway when I was going to try a more sophisticated helical pinion gear model I just finished.

Still, in retrospect, the learning curve for madCAM was't bad for only having 30 days part time at it. At least I saw the post processor mod working on the 3axis Okuma and one 4axis part spin in Rhino. If I didn't need the 4th axis, madCAM would likely now do everything I need.

I am shooting to capitalize a decent 3axis machine with a 4th rotary early next year.

Thanks for all your good help here! I do appreciate it greatly!

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Bruce,

If you need more time, just send an email to madCAM and make a request for a new trial key.

/Joakim

Downloads
    Uploads

Joakim,
    Thank you. I will do that.
    Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Note on 4th axis (and 5th) stock removal simulation:

Joakim mentioned to me that this simulation feature is a current focus of development and is in the optimization stage with release not far in the future.

This is a good video showing progress:

Best regards,
    Bruce