Need Help! madCAM Post Processor Availability/Customization Question

Thread: madCAM Post Processor Availability/Customization Question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default madCAM Post Processor Availability/Customization Question

Hello,

I have appx ten years experience with Rhino3D making models/rendering for print/electronic use, but very small background in vertical milling other than a couple machining classes I have taken at the local community college to learn tooling, fixtures, speeds and feeds basics.

Compared to others I have seen in the market, madCAM's business philosophy fits where I need to be. The spectrum of product capability and pricing is immediately workable. It is also very attractive that it is integrated so well with Rhino3D and allows me to leverage those skill sets versus a new hockey stick learning curve. The videos I have seen are quite impressive as well.

I have have several CNC project ideas in mind and now access to an Okuma MC-V4020 vertical millling center. The owner is open to my use, but has no Rhino or madCAM background. He knows machining from 40 productive years in that world, but doesn't want to climb the learning curve associated with modeling through G-code.

My question:

Does madCAM have an Okuma 4020 post processor currently available off the shelf ... and if not, how much work/skill sets are necessary to customize the CAM software so I can safely gen G-code for the Okuma with a real low probability of causing a crash and expensive damage as I definitely do not want to harm my friendship with the owner (not to mention looking like a total idiot). Longer term, if I can get the knowledge necessary to prove reasonable feasibility, I intend to raise the capital for the purchase of a VMC to take those planned ideas forward.

Thank you for your kind assistance!

Bruce

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Without looking in the Madcam library, it's easy to answer. If it's not in there, someone here will be able to help no problem.

You won't have to worry about it. I started my CAM experience with Madcam, awesome program. Simple to learn, yet very powerful.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: madCAM Post Processor Availability/Customization Question

Williams,

Thanks for the response. That would make my day to find that this is an easy road. After a bit of searching for straight dope on post processors, I haven't yet found the grail unlocking key I am looking for. But it is early.

From your user name, are you in the tower structure business? I did quite a few years doing MW/VHF radio work before retiring a bit back. Interesting business.

I just ran a post today using an older DelCAM product (after importing/featuring a model from Rhino) for the Okuma MC-V4020. The DelCAM simulation worked great on the screen. At the recommendation of the fellow I am working with, we added 4" to the Z and let it cut air as a reality check. Bout 1/3 of the way through it took off like a scalded hound. The G-code post mortem showed an F30 feed command buried in a subroutine that was created at the end vs appx F0.0187 earlier. 30in/min was the tool speed selected in DelCAM. The 1604X speed increase really got things dancing. (In DelCAM's favor, 6802 lines -1 seemed to work well)

Evidently the folks at this shop have been used to doing this workaround for a number of years. I would like hack out a fix for them, but I am just learning G-code from scratch and am totally green there. I had planned to bump this to AutoDesk to see if anyone there would be willing to point me in the direction of what the process would be to fix it ... hopefully it is not some proprietary, locked down process I can't touch. Don't know. Been reading everything I can find on the subject, but I am still missing the unlocking key for which direction to go.

madCAM is seemingly an attractive, competitive route to get to a controllable/workable solution here. I need a stable process that gets me prototyping rather than putzing with software workarounds.

Any thoughts about approaches for a fix here or even some direction I should take to get up the curve faster?

Clearly I am looking in all the wrong places. :^)

Best regards,
    Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

No tower work, I do performance work on dirtbikes.

I'll be working on some CAM stuff this weekend. I'll look for your specific machine post. Won't be until Sunday night before I can give you an answer.

I think Madcam has a free limited day trial? You can even ask for a slight extension by emailing Joakim.

I can't stress enough how happy I am with Madcam. I was cutting fairly complex parts in days with no CAM experience

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: madCAM Post Processor Availability/Customization Question

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    No tower work, I do performance work on dirtbikes.

I'll be working on some CAM stuff this weekend. I'll look for your specific machine post. Won't be until Sunday night before I can give you an answer.

I think Madcam has a free limited day trial? You can even ask for a slight extension by emailing Joakim.

I can't stress enough how happy I am with Madcam. I was cutting fairly complex parts in days with no CAM experience

Hello,

I wanted to touch base with you to see if you had a chance to look at your madCAM package to see if it had anything that resembled an Okuma post processor.

Thanks!!!
    Bruce