Problem toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?

Thread: toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?

I'm writing Rhinoscripts to automate toolpath settings and I've come across a situation where identical settings work correctly when entered into the madCAM dialogue boxes manually, but don't work when scripted using identical parameter choices.

The process I am using involves 4 steps:

1. Select the model to be cut: MC_SelectModel

2. Restrict the cutting area using a closed region curve: MC_RegionCurves

3. Choosing the cutter: MC_Cutter

4. Generating the toolpath: MC_PlanarFinishing

When I do these steps manually I get the desired result which looks like this:

But when I script the same steps the toolpath is different and missing a significant part of the cutting area:

To debug I'm trying to mix the above 4 steps between scripted and manual versions, and as far as I can tell the problem only arises when the scripted MC_Cutter command is used.

In other words, when I choose the cutter manually I can run the other three steps in a script and the result sometimes is correct, but whenever I try to use the scripted MC_Cutter command with a ball-end cutter the result is broken like the second picture above.

Strangely, the whole script works perfectly when a flat endmill is chosen, it only fails when a ball mill cutter is scripted.

Since the non-scripted identical settings work, I'm wondering if there is a bug in -MC_Cutter.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Leo

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?-manual-madcam-working-jpg   toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?-scripted-cutter-glitch-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?

in the create box there is icon of clipping planes , in clipping planes try to put the top level higher .
    thanks
    jeries facouseh - BETHLEHEM - Palestine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: toolpath glitch when scripting madCAM - maybe caused by MC_Cutter?

Thanks for your suggestion Jeries.

Using Clipping Planes and setting the top one high enough to allow for the radius of the ball cutters is an effective work around to this glitch.

The bug in madCAM remains: when using ball cutters with Planar Finishing the non-scripted toolpaths generate correctly, but when using a scripted MC_Cutter command the toolpaths are clipped at the top of the stock model box, even when no clipping planes have been added. Since the toolpaths for ball cutters are drawn at the center of their radius then the paths for large radius cutters are incomplete as shown in the pictures above.

I hope this bug will be fixed.