Hollow Stock When Simulating

Thread: Hollow Stock When Simulating

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hollow Stock When Simulating

Occasionally when using MadCAM in the past, I'd find the stock hollow when simulating. I have the software installed on two laptops, so when it didn't work well on one, I'd use the other one. Eventually, I presume due to an update, the software would work again. With two laptops, I always had one that worked. Recently, I had to install the latest pre-release of MadCAM to use the software with Windows 10. However, now I can't simulate on either laptop. This is really frustrating as I hate running new programs without having first tested the paths using the simulation mode. I have deleted graphics drivers on each machine and re-installed them, but I continue to have the same issue.

I suspect this is something to do with openGL, but I nothing I change in settings seems to work. Anyone have a fix?

Thanks.

Ken

Similar Threads:

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hollow Stock When Simulating

I know others have reported problems with the latest Win 10 and some graphic problems. Seems some card brands doesn't keep their drivers up to date.
    Not much help to you, except that you are not alone. When they have reinstalled an older version of MC it is all working again.

/S

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I can't go back to the previous version as it wouldn't run MadCAM. I have no other options to get the simulations to work? I don't know when I'll see updated drivers. I don't understand how Rhino can display all the rendering correctly, yet MadCAM can't simulate the model.

Ken

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KennethC View Post
    Well I can't go back to the previous version as it wouldn't run MadCAM. I have no other options to get the simulations to work? I don't know when I'll see updated drivers. I don't understand how Rhino can display all the rendering correctly, yet MadCAM can't simulate the model.

Ken
    You should go to the previous version of MadCAM, see?

Rhino's rendering is a separate modelling engine. The simulation in MadCAM is a totally different beast that runs directly towards your graphics card and makes a material removal calculation on the fly, it has more similarities with a 3D game than Rhino's still image rendering.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another Windows update pushed out today, and still having the same issue. I went to MadCAM's site to see if I could download the prior version, but I don't know where to find it. The reason I pulled down the 5-10-17 pre-release was because MadCAM would not load when I launched Rhino. I don't know if anything has changed with Windows 10 that might allow the previous version of MadCAM to run. I'm game to try, but I need a link to the prior version.

Thanks,

Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This morning I found an earlier version of MadCAM in my downloads directory on my other laptop. I downgraded my installation to this version. However anytime I go to load a stock model from MadCAM, it crashes Rhino. So the only version that will run under Windows 10 on my two laptops is the pre-release version, and this version will not allow me to simulate due to the hollow stock issue. This is a major pain as I am in the middle of a project right now and seriously need a version that works! The pre-release is a bit buggy, and I am having a hard time getting it to model profile curves correctly. If this can't get addressed soon, I might have to downgrade the OS on one of my laptops to an earlier version of Windows, assuming that is even possible.

Ken

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you make a downgrade to a previous version of the graphics driver? That might be the cause of the crashes when you run an older version of MC.
    I know others have had problems with the latest Win 10. I am not on the latest and the only reason is that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This morning, I have spent several hours trying to get MadCAM working on one of my two laptops. No go with either. I have uninstalled windows updates, rolled back graphics drivers. I cannot get the former version of MadCAM to run at all regardless what I do. It just keeps crashing Rhino. Nothing I have done in rolling back windows updates will get my stock to model correctly when simulating with the pre-release version of MadCAM. I also can't get the profiles curves build currently wit the pre-release version. I am so frustrated, I am tempted to take one of these machines back to Windows 8.1, but that is going to cause a ton work too.

Every other piece of software I use seems to work just fine with Windows 10. What a mess.

Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone working to address this issue? I feel like I am being stranded here. I spent a couple of hours this evening installing Rhino and MadCAM on my son's desktop computer, also Windows 10, and I get the same errors. I tried updating graphics drivers, and Rhino continues to crash when loading MadCAM. I don't trust the profile commands in MadCAM on the pre-release, so I am shut down until MadCAM gets fixed. I now have the problem on three different computers by three different manufacturers, a Dell, an HP, and a Microsoft machine. There is a serious compatibility issue with MadCAM. With the software failing to work on three computers, I put the issues squarely with MadCAM and not my graphics drivers.

Can you give me an ETA as to when I can see a fix?

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

The simulator in the pre-release is not finished. That's why it was not being released. Unfortunately Microsoft forced Joakim to release it early as madCAM would not work in the Win 10 1607 update.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dan. I was suspecting as much given the issue was repeatable on three different computers by three different manufacturers.

As I couldn't get the new profile tool to work correctly, I manually drew milling curves and had MadCAM follow the curves. Much more work, but as I needed only profiles for this project and not surface milling, it was doable. The simulator never did work.

Given the bind this Windows update put me in and the long delay to a timely fix for MadCAM, I need to revisit how I allow Microsoft to update my computers and make sure whatever updates Microsoft sends out work with MadCAM before letting the updates roll out to all my computers. Interim OS updates have never been an issue previously with any of my software, so I never really thought about it. If I had been in the middle of a complicated CAD/CAM project, this would have been very painful.

I will be needing MadCAM for much more than profile cutting in another month and would really like to have the simulator working. Hopefully Joakim has a full working version out by then or I'll have to reset one of my laptops to its factory default settings and run an older version of Windows, and I dread doing that.

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

I feel your pain! Unfortunately, it's tough to say when it will be ready. Joakim has been working on the simulator for a long time.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)