Problem glitch in Along Curves command?

Thread: glitch in Along Curves command?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default glitch in Along Curves command?

I'm using Along Curves to generate a toolpath for cutting long narrow slots.

The generated path is almost perfect except that I can't get it to raise above the workpiece for the transition from the first cut to the second.

From the second cut onwards the path is perfect and raises above the workpiece by the Safe_Clearance which I've specified, but this is not happening after the first cut for some reason.

This seems like a bug to me as I can't see any settings within the command which could fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leo

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glitch in Along Curves command?-madcam-along-curves-problem-jpg  

Default Re: glitch in Along Curves command?

I am also experiencing this and have yet to find a workaround.

Also, the "multiple Z cuts" option does not work at all. It can only make one pass. Please help!

Thanks,
    O

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm having a similar problem with Pencil_Trace command.

It's 95% perfect, but there are a couple of glitches where the tool path moves along the surface of the workpiece instead of retracting to the safe height.

glitch in Along Curves command?-pencil-trace-glitch-jpg

Like with Along Curves this is only happening between cut paths that are very close together. Is there any way to control the threshold where the cutter decides to retract before making the next cut?

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Solved: glitch in Along Curves command?

Ok the solution is hidden in the "Other" pane of the cutting tool selection dialogue box:

glitch in Along Curves command?-madcam-along-curves-solution-jpg

Simply set the Cut Link Distance to a shorter value and the tool paths retract properly.

I'm sure experienced madCAM users have memorized where this setting is, but I think there is an opportunity here to improve the user interface and make it easier to find this setting for new users:

1) First suggestion is to expand the size of the Cutters selection dialogue and include the three settings in the "Other" tab within the main window under "Speed / Settings" so that they are not hidden.

2) Second suggestion is to merge the cutter selection window with the tool path parameter windows so that the currently selected tool can be seen, and even changed, when it is most crucial: when setting toolpath parameters.

Currently there is zero user interface feedback from madCAM to indicate which tool is selected. Users have to check the Cutters dialogue. A simple way to give feedback would be to create the layer for the cutter as soon as it is selected, rather than only after the toolpath has been generated as is currently the case.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

As Corvus says, it's a hidden setting. Would have been better if the setting was in the path dialog and not in the tool dialog.