Scribing reference lines and text into spoil board

Thread: Scribing reference lines and text into spoil board

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Scribing reference lines and text into spoil board

Hello Everyone,
    Brand new MadCam user (with Rhino 5 and an Axiom CNC), and I'm trying to find a simple way to create a tool path to cut some thin reference lines in my spoil board. I'd like to also include distances next to the lines. Can anyone suggest a process to create a tool path for this? Thanks very much for your help! Tom

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Scribing reference lines and text into spoil board

Maybe draw what you want including the text, then engrave the lines and text?

Downloads
    Uploads

Use the AlongCurves toolpath. Here is an example where I'm engraving 0.25mm deep in 2 passes. The curve is on the top of the surface (so the tool is engraving under the curve).

Scribing reference lines and text into spoil board-2017-02-23_5-04-52-png

Hope this helps,

Dan

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your help. I just gave this a shot using some simple closed curves and the Along Curves method, and found that, when I try to get a simulation, I get an error message, saying "OpenGL error! Unable to create rendering content." Then Rhino goes into a "program not responding" status and crashes.

After a whole bunch of failed attempts, using different values, I decided to try going through the MadCam video tutorial on 2D profiling from curves, one step at a time, to make sure I wasn't missing something. I created a simple rectangular plane and a few circles to generate quick toolpaths. Created a box at -.5" thickness. Moved my rectangular plane (converted to a surface) to -.5" Left the circles at 0. Picked a generic cutter from the library, and generated tool paths. Then, hit the simulate button, and crash!

What am I missing? I'm a newbie, for sure, but I've used RhinoCam to make a handful of 3D projects, and I was hoping MadCam would be even more intuitive for simple engraving/sign making projects. Please help! Thanks very much, TomScribing reference lines and text into spoil board-img_0710-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Try updating the video card drivers on your PC. That's usually the issue when you get an OpenGL error.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Gerry! Will do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which SR for madCAM do you have? If it's the pre-release, the simulator is not finished. That's why it wasn't released, but Microsoft forced Joakim to make a pre-release if you updated to Win 10 version 1607.

Not sure about your process. Why did you make a box at -.5" and then move the surface down? That's not the way to do it. When you activate the surface a mesh is created behind the scenes. Moving your surface doesn't move this mesh. I would leave it where it is, leave the curves on the surface, and use a negative value for the multiple steps step size as shown above. However, if you have the pre-release this doesn't work, so you can move your curves under the surface to obtain your total depth of cut. But don't move the surface.

See if this helps.

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan, I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I purchased Rhino 5 a few years ago, and MadCam 5 v3 last summer. That's about all I know as far as the software/updates. I will retrace my steps as you suggested, regarding surface & box, and see what happens. At one point, I followed all the steps in the MadCam video for 2D profiling from curves, and got the same result, so maybe now that I have updated my video card driver, it will work. Thanks again!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, making progress! Gotta own up to some operator error and impatience, here. The video card update fixed the simulator error message, and your advice about plane placement got some useful results. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Which SR for madCAM do you have? If it's the pre-release, the simulator is not finished. That's why it wasn't released, but Microsoft forced Joakim to make a pre-release if you updated to Win 10 version 1607.

Not sure about your process. Why did you make a box at -.5" and then move the surface down? That's not the way to do it. When you activate the surface a mesh is created behind the scenes. Moving your surface doesn't move this mesh. I would leave it where it is, leave the curves on the surface, and use a negative value for the multiple steps step size as shown above. However, if you have the pre-release this doesn't work, so you can move your curves under the surface to obtain your total depth of cut. But don't move the surface.

See if this helps.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad it's coming together for you.