Newbie help requested- just learning the ropes with MadCAM

Thread: help requested- just learning the ropes with MadCAM

Default help requested- just learning the ropes with MadCAM

Can someone point me in the right direction for creating toolpaths for this loop? It's a simple outside profile, but the inside requires several passes with a ballnose bit to get the slope. The toolpaths I create keep pocketing the whole inside of the material block- completely unneeded for this part. I have attached a zipped Rhino file and some screenshots for reference. Thanks for your help!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help requested- just learning the ropes with MadCAM-ring_side-jpg   help requested- just learning the ropes with MadCAM-ring_top-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: help requested- just learning the ropes with MadCAM

Set a region curve inside and outside. Make two circles - one a bit smaller and one just outside the slope. Select them and click Select Region Curves. Recreate the toolpath.

EDIT: More reading: MADCAMCNC: Region curves vs extruded curve

Last edited by svenakela; 07-01-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's another way to make the slope without a tool change. It all depends on what it is for and if speed of making the part is more important than tolerances. You can make a flat end cutter go in and out all the way around in a polar pattern, in that way the cutter will make the slope perfectly smooth but with vertical grooves. The bigger cutter you use the finer it will be, or you can go in bigger steps if you accept grooves.
    It's also make you able to cut all the way to the bottom without having the cutter "pass through" the bottom layer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Since you mentioned that you don't need to rough out the center, is it safe to assume that this is a casting? Or perhaps a plasma or laser cut ring? If so, you will have a set amount of stock on the faces to machine.

I will offer two more suggestions. First, you could create a stock model of the ring and use the regular roughing toolpath. However, it's not very efficient. Second, you could use Z-level finishing, but use the stock allowance to create your step-overs. I've made a short video that will explain what I mean:

madCAM machining a cast ring - DanBayn's library

Hope this is useful.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)