Stupid blind guy problem on Sherline

Thread: Stupid blind guy problem on Sherline

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stupid blind guy problem on Sherline

OK, I am legally blind and I usually just deal with it. Somehow I am simply not able to decide where to oil my spindle for my Sherline. The pictures I have found leave me a bit baffled and there just does not seem to be a logical spot to oil it. What am I missing? So dumb that I hate to ask but sometimes I just have to give up and ask. Where do I oil the spindle on a Sherline?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stupid blind guy problem on Sherline

holy smokes, another blind machinist !
    Are they sealed bearings?

What is your eye condition?
    Mine is RP under 5deg field with and no night / darkness vision without lights,
    haven't driven in 23 yrs. legal blind
    But i can still make parts on Cad Cam..........
    the work is done in the brain.............

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    holy smokes, another blind machinist !
    Are they sealed bearings?

What is your eye condition?
    Mine is RP under 5deg field with and no night / darkness vision without lights,
    haven't driven in 23 yrs. legal blind
    But i can still make parts on Cad Cam..........
    the work is done in the brain.............
    Absolutely amazing co-incidence. I have RP around the same stage as yours. Have you taken the Luxturna genetic test for free yet? The million dollar cure. I don't think I would have the "cure"at this time even if I can afford it but it is good to know about. My test kit is on the table waiting for help filling out the form. I could, I'm just form lazy. The report that amazed me was that patients reported seeing the stars. I have not seen those in 20 years or more.

I'm really not sure what to lubricate on the spindle but there is a big notice on the front "Lubricate daily". Pictures seem to point to the spindle motor while texts say to oil the spindle. Just not sure. You know how easy it is to miss the obvious sometimes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well now Captn When in doubt just call Sherline and use the ole' white cane stunt....
    I had to learn how to just simply call and ask.
    What are you doing on that machine ? and how ?
    Prior experiences machining?

After cataract removals life and vision is so much better.
    Now i just hang out and make *****in stuff like this
    It is just advanced Jjr High Shop class.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stupid blind guy problem on Sherline-alpha-small-jpg  
    Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

I found the answer and the answer is that I do not oil the spindle on a Sherline, that is just where they put the big yellow notice.

I've been doing 3D printing, on printers I built, for 8 or 9 years and have the drafting and concepts down. I went to community college for a year for CNC which taught me a lot about industrial machine operation and filled in some gaps about touching off tools and such basics. I bought this denford, which is a sherline in a case built for schools, specifically to learn on. So in some ways I am at square one learning LinuxCNC and using all of that speed and feed math I learned. I've been using Fusion360 for a couple months and the CAM is still a bit mysterious. In other ways, I have a good idea of what I'm doing. I have designed, drawn and printed robotic arms and 3D printers. I have never operated a CNC device thru an entire work process.

I love my robot minions because they do what I now find difficult. Frankly, they do it better than I ever did. I have machining wax due here tomorrow and plan to start with simple handwritten g-codes for test patterns. I am sort of debating which project or series of tutorials to look at next. Eventually, I plan to do this for part-time income in my retirement. Right now, it still about just learning. What drawing and operating software are you using?

Downloads
    Uploads

Captn,
    it appears you are going to get this knowledge.
    I do have advice from my years of experience and
    i am doing a similar thing in retirement / advisability
    before the eyes totally go white-out (like another man i know).
    Software i use is Cadkey 19 on win XP. Cadkey is a derivative of what
    we developed within aerospace during the 1980's
    I can make any curve / surface geometry and with total control.
    Any part of anything i modeled a skyscraper once, did Steel detailing

I am doing guitars and odd cad cnc jobs for others.
    What are you planing to make?

Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

My interest lies in prosthetic and orthotic devices. You can work making parts as a contract worker under a prostheticist in most states. Cosmetic upgrades require no special permitting. I'm also looking at toys and gizmos for local summer fairs. I'm probably about a year out from "production" work but I dabble in so many things that using the machine will not be a problem. Turning that into money always is.

Believe it or not, 3D printing was just a fascination but CNC is because I cannot afford to have it done by others. I am a Tinker. I have one device I've been refining for 30 years. It will cost more to have it made than to buy the equipment and make it myself. Die making for aluminum casting also holds a lot of interest for me since I cast. I would not mind just using the machines to make machines. This is one of mine and a Sherline is not any more complicated.