Point a Newbie in the right direction

Thread: Point a Newbie in the right direction

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Point a Newbie in the right direction

Hello all,
    I wanted to post a new thread. I’ve done a bunch of looking and I’m sure if I dig deep enough I can find all the answers but I thought it may be beneficial to ask these questions and possibly help another newbie that’s getting in to this as well. I would like to learn CNC machine/ 3D printing. I would like to start hobby then see where it goes. Would like to get more serious as time goes on. I would like to build my first machine. I don’t need anything huge to start on a tight budget so I cannot throw money at this like I would want to with something like this for now. My interest for this is with aviation and firearms, I would like to laser cut or etch as well. I’m not 100% on where to start would it be better to start learning cad/cam or buy the parts and build the machine first or even start with a 3d printer and go from there. I do use a Mac book Pro for right now and know they may be a little difficult. Suggestions on software would be a great help. Doing my research, I have found a bunch of ideas and suggestions but nothing that has really pointed me in the right direction with all this. I greatly appreciate all of your help and looking forward to throwing ideas out and seeing each others projects.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

TBH i would start by learning CAD and undertsanding the diffrent coordinate systems. Polar,Absolute, and Incremental. It helps to be able to visualise and oriantate in a 3d world for any type a cnc. There are many free cad programs out there, and free starting out is good. Also find all the info on g coding you can and get a firm grasp on it. While many machines can run right from cam files. Its extremly helpful to be able to read what is going on line by line as you can afjust parameters on the fly this way and save alot of time. Ensure you have the mathematics to back up calculations, algebra, some trig, def geometry, even low level calc. Once uour brain is filled with the basic knowledge only then would i move into buying a machine and start making anything. Breaking tooling or machine components gets costly, and the learning curve can be a steep one. Firearms and aerospace are some tight tolerance 0 forgiveness industries. You must understand the material properties and what is going on if you truley wish to pursue this in any fasion. It can be done it just takes time and effort.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Point a Newbie in the right direction

I'd agree with Sandvet; the common thread here is the CAD modeling. Once you've got a handle on that, you can apply it to CNC machining, 3D printing, laser cutting, or whatever. You don't necessarily have to buy all these machines either; there are plenty of service bureaus and machine shops which will be able to execute your models for you, without the hassle and expense of buying, installing and maintaining a lot of equipment. Try a lot of different programs to see which of them work best for you. Don't limit yourself to free programs; most commercial software will offer demo versions to try out. The amount of time you'll be putting in brings the cost of even an expensive program down to pennies an hour, and starting with a program that's compatible with how your mind works can save a lot of time and struggling.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank you so much. ill be looking into some cad programs.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am also a newbie while at the same time having a bit more than a decade of experience. I got my obsolete Denford/Sherline 3 axis CNC mill fully operational today and built my first 3D printer about 9 years ago.

For CNC: LEARN FUSION 360 by Autodesk. If you download the 30 day demo, when you get to licensing you can select "hobbyist" and they will give you a one year license free. It can be renewed each year. The reason I say this is because of the CAD/CAM package. This has a huge "learning curve" and is difficult if you are not familiar with 3D software at all. Do the tutorials one at a time and it will not be hard but you do not learn anything without putting in the time.

For 3D printing: I was always pretty happy with Sketchup. We had to use a plug-in to save as .STL format but it was easy to learn and use. Nowhere near as flexible as Fusion/inventor/autoCAD but simpler.

Unlike others, I am going to tell you to also dive right in. Da Vince printers are under $200. I build mine. It now costs more to build but you learn a ton. Look up RepRap if you are interested in learning that route. Investigate "slicing" software such as Slic3r, a dominate 3D printing CAD to G-code software. Also free. Go to your local library and ask if they have 3D printers for the public. Some do now. Go to Thingiverse.com and look at the models done by others available to you for download. CNC/3D printing is a huge area. Cad, CAM, G-code, Drivers, stepper motors. It all gets very confusing. Poke around and decide which part interests you the most. Modeler/Designer, 3D printer owner/Operator, CNC machinist. All very similar but all different enough to not learn at the same time. Pick an interest after you explore the options a bit. I've spent a decade on this same general hobby and I'm not close to knowing enough for me. I am just starting using LinuxCNC on a dedicated PC to my mill. (Free), so I am a newbie again.

It all starts with drawing, CAD. There are so many other aspects of it that there is no reason to wait until you learn CAD. Knowing CAD will not help you understand the basics of G-code, and if you want to be serious, you will need a basic understanding of that as well. A REALLY GOOD G-code programmer may be the most important person in a shop, if employment is your goal. You learn by doing and observing others. Try a few of the areas and see what catches your interest.