Milling Aluminium - too fast? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Hi Khouj, A_Camera and Roger,

Success! Using your settings, I have successfully milled some 2D shapes out of 2mm aluminium and 1mm copper sheet. As I had to mill some 2mm wide slots, I purchased a 2mm, 2 flute end mill. By using this for all the milling, I have reduced the amount of chips produced. Whilst the cutting was in progress, I used a WD40 aerosol can to apply occasional squirts of lubricant. Not only did the milling proceed without any drama, but the spray also 'stuck' the chips to the excess metal of the workpiece. This meant that I did not have small metallic chips floating around. I'm now going to to fix up my lubricating/air blast nozzle (above) and use your lubricant mixture to provide a very fine mist onto the workpiece. Here is a photo of my milling. The three aluminium pieces create an oil anti-surge system for our Kart engines, (I might need a few more holes in the plates). The copper piece is a 1mm copper head gasket for our kart engines.

The next job is the 40mm thick rocker box and cover.

Many thanks for your advice. I would not have got this far without you

Cheers

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-cnc-kart-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Excellent!
    Ah - if you made the copper 0.5 mm thick, would the kart go faster?

Cheers
    Roger

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWilliams View Post
    I use the enclosure as the CNC is in a room in the house, rather than in a workshop/garage/shed. To get the dust out, I have a 25mm tube that (up to now) I have cable tied to the motor. That is what I connect to the vacuum cleaner. I removed it before I took the photo.
    I thought I was the only one with a CNC in a room in the house... My "workshop" is far too small with all the other things in it, just bought a Bosch GTS 10 J table saw which is the last possible machine to fit in there, no more free space. I like the comfort of having the CNC in a hobby activity room. I can sit comfortably, close the door and nobody is bothered but me with the noise it makes. There isn't much floor space left though... Anyway, I also have an enclosure on five sides (not the top) and also use the dust shoe, but not using any lubricants, only dry milling.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWilliams View Post
    Success!
    Good news! Thanks for the feedback!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234