Milling Aluminium - too fast? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling Aluminium - too fast?

Hi Khouj, A_Camera and Roger,

MILLING ALUMINIUM BLOCKS

Thanks to your help, I have achieved success! Using the feeds, speeds and router bits recommended, I can now mill aluminium blocks on my CNC 6040. The largest block to date is 40mm thick. In the photo attached, the two blocks are 25mm thick and the plate, 5mm thick. Even the surface finish is quite good. What a relief to be able to actually mill useful bits.

"V" GROOVES AND SEMI-CIRCULAR GROOVES

OK, now for my next project I need to mill a "v" groove or a 21.9mm semi-circular groove in two pieces of aluminium block, each 50 x 50 x 100, along the 100mm face. I will make two pieces so I can clamp the 21.9mm rod firmly between the two pieces. I have not yet worked out the optimum angle for the vee groove, but that should not be too difficult. I haven't done anything like this before but I think the vee grove may be the more sucessful method than milling (Drilling?) an exact semi-circular groove to precisely fit the rod. It sounds a bit tricky. What do you think?

Cheers

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-img_0580-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

A diagram would be helpful.

Making a V-groove sounds like a job for a V-shaped cutter. However, that can be dangerous as the chip loading get very high at depth when the length of cutter engaged gets large. Not such a smart idea.
    However, do you really need a V-groove? You could use a ball-end cutter (not too big) to make a suitable groove. After all, the rod only hits at two points (in profile).

Btw - nice milling.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger,

I only thought of a vee groove as I have not used ball end cutters before. This is the type of thing I was thinking of (attached) for the vee groove. So, if I need to machine a 20mm diameter semi circular groove along one face of the aluminium bar, do I need a 20mm diameter ball end cutter?

Cheers

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-v-groove-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWilliams View Post
    Hi Roger,

I only thought of a vee groove as I have not used ball end cutters before. This is the type of thing I was thinking of (attached) for the vee groove. So, if I need to machine a 20mm diameter semi circular groove along one face of the aluminium bar, do I need a 20mm diameter ball end cutter?

Cheers

Gary
    First of all that`s a nice output you got there >>> Milling Aluminium - too fast?-img_0580-jpg

As for the V-groove you can use an ordinary carbide V-bit for wood, like this >>> Milling Aluminium - too fast?-s-l1600-jpg

Link >>> Click Here

The only technical part is that you need to reshapen the V-bit according to your preferred angle, can you provide the exact measurement of your model? I think I can make a custom code for your project model

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-img_0580-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-s-l1600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you can use a V cutter.The problem is that when it is at the bottom of the V groove, there is a lot of tool engagement, so the forces are high. You can limit the forces by having a flat bottom to your V groove and only cutting one side at a time. Make the tool very sharp.

If you use a ball end cutter you would first plough a groove deeper than the rod, then shape the side a bit. You can do this with a 10 mm cutter quite easily, to make a groove for a 20 mm rod. Sketch it out in profile 1st. (20 mm cutters are $$$.)

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I think he can run a rough out with a 1/4 ball nose or 1/8 ball nose first, then finish it with the V-cutter to smoothen the ladders created by the ball nose rough out.

Plan B - just use your existing 1/4 shank 2 flute carbide bit, find a way to bolt and tilt it with washers or anything that will make it sturdy enough for milling a slant way, position it to your desired angle then mill it, then reposition it again to the right and mill it, no need for rough outs or codes, you can do it in manual (no code)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, rough out then finish would work.

Plan B would be really good with a tilting vice, or even some 45 degree blanks of timber cut out beforehand. Once you start getting creative with fixtures, anything is possible!

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger & Khouj,

Here is a sketch of what I am trying to achieve. As you can see, It has been a long time since I last drew an 'Engineers Sketch'. I will look into my ArtCam programme to see how to mill a 20mm groove with a 10mm ball end cutter. That will be a useful skill to learn. I had thought of using angled blanks as I have a hand vice that bolts to the bed. I hadn't thought of manual milling. How simple. When I reposition the gantry manually, the gantry moves quite fast. I'll have a look at Mach3 to see how to set slower/finer control.

I'm going to try both methods and yes, I'll start with hardwood. Aluminium blocks are really expensive in the UK in the very small quantities I need.

Cheers

Gary

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Aha. OK.
    What I would do is
    attach the aluminium blank very tightly to a flat wood base,
    then mill out the middle,
    then tilt the wood base up a bit (to 15 degrees) and clamp it.
    Then mill off the corner with the side of the cutter.
    Then reverse the whole thing and mill off the other corner.
    You could even calculate the thickness of the wedge you need.

Start with softwood - it is usually cheaper. And it 'bends' more easily too.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Roger. I'll give that a try

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger & Khouj,

I currently use ArtCam for my CNC designing. Originally produced by DelCam, it was bought by Autodesk who have now decided to dump it. Their solution is to offer their more expensive product - Fusion360.

As you know, my design needs are simple. Mainly 2D shapes and I am just venturing into 3D. I need to find an easy to use Cad/Cam programme. Something nice and simple, no mention of confusing things like 'wireframes', etc. Something that will not take a University degree course to learn. I haven't the mental energy for that. Have you any suggestions, for software that is similar in ease of use to ArtCam?

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

A bit difficult there. I have used several (expensive) 3D modelling programs and found them all painfully slow to use and gave up on them. I have decades of computer programming experience, so I do my design work in my head, transfer it to AutoSketch for 2D realisation and documentation, and then I program it myself by hand. So no suggestions at all. Sorry.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger & Khouj,

I currently use ArtCam for my CNC designing. Originally produced by DelCam, it was bought by Autodesk who have now decided to dump it. Their solution is to offer their more expensive product - Fusion360.

As you know, my design needs are simple. Mainly 2D shapes and I am just venturing into 3D. I need to find an easy to use Cad/Cam programme. Something nice and simple, no mention of confusing things like 'wireframes', etc. Something that will not take a University degree course to learn. I haven't the mental energy for that. Have you any suggestions, for software that is similar in ease of use to ArtCam?

Cheers

Gary
    Well I guess you can do it my way sir the base software I used is only sketchup 8 the free version, I made my own plug-in on sketchup to be able go to the next step (CAM Programming) I also develop my own custom CAM software that has no expiry, no nonsense, no subscription or whatever hehe, just copy / paste the file and voila! a perfect CAM program that can do simple to complex CAM programming, also the plug-in in sketchup is also copy/paste, because I made it in .RB file which can be directly put in the plug-ins folder in sketchup program files, I can give you all the programs and plug-ins I used and develop if you want im free on saturdays and sundays, the total files are only 18 MB, and can be used in windows XP,7,8,10 32/64 bit, about the fruit of labor, I guess it depends on you on how generous you are sir , you can contact me @ facebook Jay Nayon the bald but cute guy with a fake sun glasses hehe

Milling Aluminium - too fast?-1-jpg

Milling Aluminium - too fast?-2-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-1-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is very generous of you.
    You could upload it just once to a Google folder if you want - not sure of the details.

cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

You are very inventive! Why not sell this setup on eBay? I think there are many newbies like me out there willing to pay for such helpful software. Could you put up a couple of screenshots?

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger & Khouj,

I need help with Mach3's jog speed so I can try some manual milling. In my motor tuning, my 'X' and 'Y' velocities are set to 42mm/sec. I can see the JOG button on the Program Run page, but where do you set the %jog speeds? I want to be able to get 5mm/sec, 10mm/sec and 20mm/sec.

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

The tab key opens the jog page. The Mach3 manual explains it all.

cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger,

Got it. I googled some mach3/jog tutorials and they mentioned 'tabs' so I looked at the tabs at the top of the mach3 screen! I didn't realise they meant the tab KEY.

Cheers

Gary

------------------------------------------

Just tried 'jogging'. That is really useful. I'm going to try some simple, manual, milling now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

I posted to Jays facebook page.

Cheers

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Khouj,

I posted to Jays facebook page.

Cheers

Gary
    For some reason I did not get your message sir. you can add me if you want.

You can add a gamepad to make your manual milling convenient, you can slow down or fast forward "on-the-fly" it makes the job so much enjoyable and dangerous too if you`re toying with it specially on hard metals.

Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20170328_155816-jpg

Again you need a software for it to configure the buttons and cursors to function according to your preference.

One big drawback on my CAM technique is I need to teach you on how to do it because my style of CAM process is in the 3D itself, you also need at least a 1080p monitor (22-24 inch) to be able to process the CAM specially on metals that involves 0.2mm gap between them, but the end result on this technique is you`ll be able to dictate the spindle on where to start first and so on and so forth, this is the reason why I dont really need a tool changer to do most of my work, to cut the story short, whatever you do on the 3D environment the spindle will just follow what is written on sketchup, the good thing about it is you can do a floating route path, meaning even if there`s no 3D model on it, say like for example you need to hatch or bore a hole on some specific locations on your product then loop it to be able to reload another object then start again vise versa hehe.

Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20170313_075102-jpg

This is the reason I put jigs on some of our machines to be able to reload swiftly on the materials, I can park the spindle anywhere I want on the table (safe side) and loop the program to do hundreds or thousands on it. to cut the story short I am the one dictating the spindle what to do, not the CAM software which has a limited capabilities on what I want. It cuts direct to the point without excess unnecessary movements, and park to a specific point where I want them. so the scenario will be like reload materials then push the start button on the gamepad then after it`s done, take out the finish product then reload another blank material then start again. it`s a kind of boring job is`nt it?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20170328_155816-jpg   Milling Aluminium - too fast?-20170313_075102-jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123