THREE QUESTIONS

Thread: THREE QUESTIONS

Downloads
    Uploads

Default THREE QUESTIONS

Hello,

I have three questions:

1. What are the consequences of running a TCT bit at speeds higher than the recommended RPM?
    2. What is the G code that will pause the machine operation and wait for an input before proceeding?
    3. What do I need to know about putting machine oil on the axes tracks?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THREE QUESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by tdoz View Post
    Hello,

I have three questions:

1. What are the consequences of running a TCT bit at speeds higher than the recommended RPM?

[Are you talking about higher than the speeds-feeds chart recommends, or higher than the rated RPM for the tool? Going faster than the chart says can cause loading-up in metals, make chips that are more like dust which cause work-hardening, and in wood, can cause burning and dwell marks. Exceeding the rated speed for the tool risks breakage from over-deflection, which can be dangerous.]

2. What is the G code that will pause the machine operation and wait for an input before proceeding?

[In Mach3, you do that with the space bar. If you're running something else, try M01.]

Thank you.
    [It's best done with an automatic oiler, on a regular cycle. There are also manual oilers you operate with a push-button. If you don't have either, you can do it with an oil can. Use way oil, which is formulated to stay on surfaces and not run off immediately - I like Vactra way oil #2.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    [It's best done with an automatic oiler, on a regular cycle. There are also manual oilers you operate with a push-button. If you don't have either, you can do it with an oil can. Use way oil, which is formulated to stay on surfaces and not run off immediately - I like Vactra way oil #2.]
    TOOL SPEED
    I am thinking that with higher speed I can remove stock faster. Will higher speed make the tool blunt?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tdoz View Post
    Hello,

I have three questions:

Thank you.
    And what is work hardening?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THREE QUESTIONS

Depends very much on the metal you are cutting. If the cutter stops 'cutting' and starts rubbing, you will be in trouble.
    If you use a higher feed with the higher spin so the chips are still flying - you may be OK.
    'High Speed Machining' takes this to a bit of an extreme - at a power cost. Needs a very solid machine too.

Several possibilities. M1 will do that but you cannot move anything. M6 will also do that and it will let you move things around. Custom macros can put up little 'click here to continue' windows.

What sort of track?
    Dovetails: it is recommended. Linear bearings - 99% of the oil will be scraped off by the wipers.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Depends very much on the metal you are cutting. If the cutter stops 'cutting' and starts rubbing, you will be in trouble.
    If you use a higher feed with the higher spin so the chips are still flying - you may be OK.
    'High Speed Machining' takes this to a bit of an extreme - at a power cost. Needs a very solid machine too.

Several possibilities. M1 will do that but you cannot move anything. M6 will also do that and it will let you move things around. Custom macros can put up little 'click here to continue' windows.

What sort of track?
    Dovetails: it is recommended. Linear bearings - 99% of the oil will be scraped off by the wipers.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hello Roger,

I am cutting wood.

Tdoz