Cutting Wood With Carbide

Thread: Cutting Wood With Carbide

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting Wood With Carbide

I should know this but I am asking anyway. Can you machine wood on a CNC or manual lathe using standard carbide tooling?

I hurt my hand severely using my wood lathe and now am considering purchasing a CNC or manual lathe for machining wood like spindles, bowls, etc.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting Wood With Carbide

Yes, although tools for machinist's lathes are usually carbide-tipped rather than solid carbide. But the reach on a tool like that isn't as much as the long hand-held tools you use on a manual wood lathe; typically they're only about 3" long or less. For making spindles, that might be enough, but bowls would probably need longer tooling. You might consider getting a CNC router with a 4th axis attachment instead; this would also give you the ability to make other kinds of shapes that aren't round.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting Wood With Carbide

Thanks, I already have a CNC router but not with a 4th axis, I am also considering looking at a different CNC router with a 4th axis. I also had the idea of taking my carbide tipped lathe tool that I use for hand turning, cutting it longer than a normal metal lathe tool and fitting it into a tool post on the metal lathe for boring. I am pretty good with CNC equipment and standard metal lathes and mills. I do have to figure something out, I cannot afford to hurt my hand a second time.

Thanks for your input.