Where to start? The deep end sounds good! New to CNC need advice please

Thread: Where to start? The deep end sounds good! New to CNC need advice please

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to start? The deep end sounds good! New to CNC need advice please

Hello everyone - Thanks for making such informative and helpful forum.

I've already read several posts to get an idea of where to start. Please move this if I'm in the wrong place.

So I want to get in to 5 axis milling of large items. Generally, this will be for composite moulds made from tooling board, MDF and polystyrene with paste.

I've purchased a machine that I will take delivery of in a couple of months. Meanwhile, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I think I have the basics and will keep reading and practicing with CAM software. I currently have a free trial version of Fusion 360. However, I'm not sure that this is the package best suited to me. So - to my questions.

#1 I will never be designing jobs from scratch - I will always receive drawings and designs from a customer. Most likely solidworks models. I will need to plot too paths and compose the G Code. The work will vary from simple square shapes with corners to complex sweeping shapes that I hope the 5 axis will be at home with. What is the best software to do this?

#2 The machine has a NUM controller. I understand that the CAM software will generate code and as a fairly standard controller it should be simple. But I can't understand why it may need someone to edit this - for "dialect". Is that things like coolant and tool changes - neither of which I have.

#3 If I have a drawing and create a wonderful tool path then create code for it - how does anything know it's going to fit on my machine? What is the flow of the machines telling each other the limits of size? I.e. if I send it on a 6 meter X axis trip and it's only 5 - what happens?

#4 What is a wander lead?

#5 What is a setting bar?

#6 The machine has a spindle taper SK30 - where can I find in the UK or Europe holders?

#7 How do I know what is the most suitable bits for each material? Bearing in mind that the hardest thing will be tooling board - 800kg/m3. There are loads of resources for speeds and feeds for metals but not the materials I plan on using.

If anyone can help me with even one of my long list of questions I'll be really thankful.

TIA

Youth