How do you line up work for your punch press?

Thread: How do you line up work for your punch press?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you line up work for your punch press?

I got two punch press coming that I practically stole at auction. I was wondering as I am new to presses. How do you find work for your punch press? Is it tied into prep for after cnc machining, other in house fab work, and how much do you charge an hour for punch press time?

Thanks,

David

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you line up work for your punch press?

First a note about safety, never stick any part of your body into the working area. Punch presses are not at all forgiving and will crush/remove body parts in a blink of an eye. I have personally had to dig body parts out of dies. I left that company shortly thereafter, safety was not their top priority.

A punch press can be a versatile tool, but is limited to whatever you can do with a vertical action. With the proper tooling, it is possible to do a 180° or more bend in multiple stages. Depends on how creative you are in building tooling. I have built dies that took a crane to lift, and as small as having to work under a microscope to see the tooling. The tooling can be very expensive to build, or may be relatively cheap, just depends on the part.

As far as finding work, you need to find someone that needs stamped and/or formed parts. Lasers have replaced a lot of the metal stamping, and for any volume you are competing with offshore vendors. Normally you are punching sheet metal, so no secondary machining would be required. Punch presses are designed to make millions of the same part, and you have to be able to do that to amortize the cost of the tooling. You also need the support equipment to maintain the dies, a surface grinder is mandatory and heat treating capability is nice to have.

Normally you don't charge per hour, you charge by the piece. That could range from a fraction of a cent to a few cents per part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you line up work for your punch press?

Jim thanks for the info.