Buy a CNC or Craftman/Sherline Beginner Question

Thread: Buy a CNC or Craftman/Sherline Beginner Question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Buy a CNC or Craftman/Sherline Beginner Question

I am working on some designs and using a 3D printer to check that all my components work together. But afterwards I am going to have to make the parts out of aluminum or possibly something stronger. I am not working on any home building structural stuff. So my dilemma is do I buy and old Craftsman lathe/mill, Sherline or do I just get a 'CNC' machine?

Would I learn anything by working with an old manual machine or just using the computerized version sufficient.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Buy a CNC or Craftman/Sherline Beginner Question

You'd certainly learn things by using manual machines, getting a realistic idea of how fast to cut, what chips should look like if things are going well, and how to break up a job into a series of tasks for one machine or another. But if you're capable of making accurate CAD drawings and models, you'd be a lot more productive if you went the CNC route. Old Craftsman tools are not what I'd recommend; they weren't really the greatest when they were new, and once they've been abused for a while they might need more restoration work than they're worth. But Sherline makes manual as well as CNC versions of their lathes and mills, and they are high-quality tools. If your projects are small enough to fit their work envelopes, they would be a good machines to start learning about metal machining on. You can find out more about them on my site, under "Production".

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]