Running more then one machine

Thread: Running more then one machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Running more then one machine

Just wondering how many people run more then one machine? I started a new job and I'm running two cnc lathes, with the set up time, inspection time and the short cycle times plus all the paper work, this seems to waste more then gain, the machines sit idle alot. On the mills its no problem as the cycle times are 7-8 hrs not 3-15 minutes. the last place I worked I would set up the machine and then put a operator on it and I would set up another machine, this worked good. just want to see if anybody has been through this crazy waste of time. thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Running more then one machine

If the machines aren't making chips then they aren't making money, so that needs to be addressed. With you being the new guy making waves might not be the best idea. Going to your supervisor with the issues might be OK if you approach it carefully, but in addition to presenting the problem, presenting some solutions at the same time would be a good idea. Maybe you can come up with an easy way of becoming more efficient yourself to minimize the downtime. Obviously you can't set up two machines at the same time, but revisiting the workflow is sometimes helpful.

I'm going try to run two operations on two mills tomorrow, each operation has a cycle time of about 3 minutes, plus some deburr time. Not sure I can do it efficiently, but I am going to move one of the mills closer to the other to facilitate workflow and minimize steps. I'll let you know how that works out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply, I think most of the problem is all the inspection paper work, if I can just run the machines, deburr, spot check the parts, it would help, they want us to check every so many parts complete, then the machines will sit Idle why I run around checking things like corner breaks, fillets, making molds for I.D. features, finish, we check all of this at the first article and so dose the inspector, so this crap is just over kill. gotta be a better way. I think they should adjust the paper work so the in process checks are spot checks, the way it is now I would have to pencil whip and I dont like doing that. thanks again, let me know how you come out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Used to run 2 to 4 machines at once...all about time management.

- Robert.

"I'm not the callow youth of yesteryear. I'm a man of
    steel, honed on the handle of life." - Ken Morley.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    I run three at once. Sensible job planning & programming means that I can belt the work out with minimum effort / stress which equals a smaller bald patch ) Keep ing paperwork to the bare minimum ( Only what is relevant ) means more time for cunning programming. Haste makes waste ....... but then so does a power cut /

Always check the first off then #20 - #80 - then ( Depending on quantity ) batch sample every couple of hours. Keep the first off & last off for comparrison. Only good for large batches though.

Short cycle times can be troublesome but depending on your set up and machine capabilities then gang / nest the programmes to give yourself longer cycle times for the same output.

My mantra is work smart not hard .

Three off Multicam routers and a pc .... watch those chips fly .

Syd

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Hi
    I run three at once. Sensible job planning & programming means that I can belt the work out with minimum effort / stress which equals a smaller bald patch ) Keep ing paperwork to the bare minimum ( Only what is relevant ) means more time for cunning programming. Haste makes waste ....... but then so does a power cut /

Always check the first off then #20 - #80 - then ( Depending on quantity ) batch sample every couple of hours. Keep the first off & last off for comparrison. Only good for large batches though.

Short cycle times can be troublesome but depending on your set up and machine capabilities then gang / nest the programmes to give yourself longer cycle times for the same output.

My mantra is work smart not hard .

Three off Multicam routers and a pc .... watch those chips fly .

Syd
    Idiot programing always ruin things with trying to get short cycle times and not realizing when running multiple machines it's about time management if u don't have time in between operations you will never get things completed or finished like deburring and paperwork and important inspection of parts it's why many people leave this crazy occupation and go on to more sensible types of work I don't blame them.

Downloads
    Uploads

It depends on your shop as to how you finish things. We run like a production line for the most part. What I create others finish which means I spend more time perfecting programmes and designing the next job. It`s worked out very well so that there is no one scratching for something to do , My only stress is keeping the work coming through to keep 6 people busy. It is a crazy occupation but then that`s the fun. Wouldn`t do anything differently. The only problems arise when people who don`t know anything about cnc try to organise me !! Best just leave me to it eh !! :O)