Looking for advise on machining High Chromium TD2 cast/wrought tool steel

Thread: Looking for advise on machining High Chromium TD2 cast/wrought tool steel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for advise on machining High Chromium TD2 cast/wrought tool steel

Hey looking for advice and insight into machining soft high chromium steels, specifically one called TD2. Currently making an interrupted facing cut on the bottom of a cast form steel, and its eating all my inserts. I have had the best of luck tonight taking a .030 DOC with a 1.8" step over. I am using a 75m (2.94") button cutter with a 19mmDia ( .748") insert, with no rake on it. it is non-coated. Running at 480rpms and 24IPM. I can make 2 full passes across my 48x28" part. I had a lot of trouble with chipping corners with relieved/raked inserts. Looking for any advice regarding speeds/feeds, insert/cutter size/style, or coating as well. I am also currently using a moderately heavy low pressure mist (coolant drilling on a air line set up to clear chips) to keep my tool/insert and surface heat down.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick