When to use coolant?

Thread: When to use coolant?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default When to use coolant?

Hello,

I'm starting to get more in depth in machining, I currently do some manual machining here and there, but I picked up a cnc mill recently that I plan on making my own products on. My question is, when is coolant required?
    I know that some materials require coolant such as Al and Ti, but what about using coolant on steels (I know some coated carbides require dry machining)? Is there any materials that I shouldn't run coolant on? I only run carbide tooling if that helps.

If anyone can lend me some info on this, I'd appreciate it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When to use coolant?

I use a home made coolant / lubrcation on all my CNC metal works, it helps the carbide bit always cool and clean and stay on a needle sharp state for hours of work without having to resharpen them, save you time trying to take out the bit just to resharpen them, I squirt on the working spindle once in a while so that the work path is always soaked.

Sorry for the controller, im playing a game while working on a CNC......just kidding, it`s my remote control for the CNC for loading materials, feed rate adjustments, XYZ etc.

cooking oil + kerosene (50/50)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When to use coolant?-1-jpg   When to use coolant?-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not using any coolant at all. Milling only PCB, plastics, copper and aluminium and it is not necessary on those material with the right spindle speed, tools and feed rate. Use sharp cutters and a feed rate calculator. If the RPM is high and the chips are chips and not shaved off then heat will be transported away and it will work. Of course, tool ware is a bit higher this way, but not significantly in my opinion. Anyway, I prefer dry environment and no messing with chemicals. I do however also have a dust shoe, which in my opinion is very important, and which prevents me from milling the chips as it keeps the surface clean from chips.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure I can run it dry sir but my carbide bit cannot last half day cutting and profiling that 2mm stainless material, not to mention the chips flying all over the CNC table but with a lubricant/coolant it can last 2-3 days before I re sharpen it and the chips wil just stick on the loaded material, easy to clean after reloading hehe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Sure I can run it dry sir but my carbide bit cannot last half day cutting and profiling that 2mm stainless material, not to mention the chips flying all over the CNC table but with a lubricant/coolant it can last 2-3 days before I re sharpen it and the chips wil just stick on the loaded material, easy to clean after reloading hehe.
    I am not talking about stainless but aluminium, copper and similar. Also, dust shoe prevents the mess you get, which I also mentioned. I would not dare using my machine as you do, with just a pair of goggles as protection. I have my machine boxed, so what is not taken by the vacuum cleaner through the dust shoe is staying inside the box. The box is not only to keep the chips inside, but is also for personal safety. A broken bit is also kept inside the box, so I can sit 1 meter from the spindle and feel safe, protected from broken end mills and other sharp and hard stuff that can come flying at me.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I am not talking about stainless but aluminium, copper and similar. Also, dust shoe prevents the mess you get, which I also mentioned. I would not dare using my machine as you do, with just a pair of goggles as protection. I have my machine boxed, so what is not taken by the vacuum cleaner through the dust shoe is staying inside the box. The box is not only to keep the chips inside, but is also for personal safety. A broken bit is also kept inside the box, so I can sit 1 meter from the spindle and feel safe, protected from broken end mills and other sharp and hard stuff that can come flying at me.
    Yep because you have the high end machine sir lucky you, here at my place Im only adapting to what the company can offer to start the CNC business, in fact there`s one CNC here (china 2015 table) that sits for almost 11 years just on the stockroom getting rusty because the drive computer broke down and eventually got placed aside, that`s where I took an interest in doing CNC, self studying it and eventually got it working, until the company purchased CNC plasma, then lasers, then these latest are these 6090`s and 6040`s, I dont think they are willing to invest on the higher end machines for it`s the same job output as these units, one thing for sure we have on OSHA here nor any government safety standards, but yes I can safely say that CNC work is the same as mathematics, a mile of equation or an inch of equation as long as it`s equal to one hehe

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes make my own and use soluble oil on my mill stainless /steel/aluminium ,when running the cnc on brass or aluminium I will use kerosene mix with olive oil works well and saves cutters and cuts welli watched a video of a guy machining a die he had a cup /reservoir around it filled with a coolant type oil ,I guess if the cutter breaks half way through your job it's start all over again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I find a light spray of lanolin or Wd-40 really helps stop the aluminium sticking to the cutter and gumming it up.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

You do not need coolant for what you are doing.
    You probably DO need a lubricant. It will prevent BUE and tool wear.
    You probably need an air blast to clear the chips.
    Research MQL on the web. (As used by aerospace companies these days.)

Cheers
    Roger