power draw bar - not losing fingers

Thread: power draw bar - not losing fingers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default power draw bar - not losing fingers

Just got a new mill with a power draw bar (pneumatic), and I'm kind of surprised how severe the thing is.

Is there a way to safely use these? I very nearly got my finger trapped on the 2nd go of using it. The error came from trying to use my fingers to feel where the spindle blocks needed to fit into the bt40 toolholder cut outs, pressed the button just as I was lining it up and it pulled up off square. It released fine, and went back in fine too - but is there a way to avoid losing a digit? I'm imagining holding it by the collet nut so finger are way out the way, but then is there a trick to line up the toolholder cut outs with the spindle blocks? Bending down to look seems the obvious answer, but 'm not a fan of putting my head in the machine

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: power draw bar - not losing fingers

There are 2 ways to do this. One is to position the tool holder into the spindle blocks by feel, just by pushing up hard and rotating the holder until it moves into place, then activate the PDB. The other is to just remove the blocks, shove the tool holder into place and activate the PDB. The taper will keep the tool holder from spinning in the spindle, the blocks are not really required. I have a Shizouka out in the shop with a BT40 spindle and a tool changer with no blocks, as does a friend of mine with a YCM-30, works just fine. This is pretty common.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: power draw bar - not losing fingers

Thanks Jim, I'll look into those tips some more, very helpful thanks