Idea... is this possible

Thread: Idea... is this possible

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Idea... is this possible

Hey folks. I'm looking at doing a project to help my wife's crafting hobby... but I'm thinking it's fairly precise machining, and I'm not sure if lower end hobby cnc machines, such as an arduino powered rig, have the precision needed.

In short, I want to make embossing folders or cutting dies, to her specifications. These would be able cut through paper/cardstock or foil, when run through an embossing/die cut machine.

The current dies she uses have approximately a 1mm raised edge which serves as the cutting surface. It's about 1mm across as well, so not really sharp.

Is this possible or am I crazy ( regarding this idea anyway...)

Thanks in advance

Ice

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Idea... is this possible

You can probably emboss cardboard with a plastic or wood former, which any low-end CNC machine should be able to produce. But cutting dies are different. For those, you need to be able to cut steel fairly precisely, which isn't something that the low-end arduino-powered routers you're looking at can do. But look at the Taig and Sherline mills on my site; if the projects you have in mind will fit within their envelopes, then it should be possible. It's advisable to cut the steel in an annealed (soft) state, and then heat-treat it for hardness afterwards.
    '

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Idea... is this possible

It sounds to me like you want to make Steel Rule Cutting Dies. If you Google that you'll find places that sell the materials to make them or you can find shops that make custom ones.