In need of some advice!

Thread: In need of some advice!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default In need of some advice!

So I own a small gunsmithing business and we are looking to make a move into producing our own products. The issue is I don't have much experience with CNC machining. I have plenty of experience with manual mills and lathes, but I'm worried if i was to buy a cnc machine i would be in over my head. I took a few classes in Cad so I have a little bit of knowledge in AutoDesk, not sure if that helps. I also had a job where I programmed a couple robotic spot welders. So basically I'm wondering if there are certain machines that are more user friendly than others? Also should I just retro fit my Bridgeport J2 mill instead of buying a whole new machine? I've been looking through this forum trying to suck in as much knowledge as I can in hopes of understanding CNC a little bit more. Thanks for the help!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: In need of some advice!

I think you could learn it quick. As far as what to learn, I would say focus more on CAM/Gcode/CNC concepts vs CAD. When programming on the lathe you really just need a 2d view of the part wire frame so that it pretty dang easy. When programming on the mill you do usually need a 3d part model, but I would just hire that out. So in my humble opinion I think focusing on the CAM/Gcode concepts would be the best/essential route to transition in CNC manufacturing.

How big are your part runs? I don't run my own shop so I don't have spread sheet numbers to back this up, but I would think anything over 10 parts would be a good investment.

Machines:
    I started on these prototrak machines. They aren't full on "CNC" machines because they don't accept Gcode programs, but you are still programming in a lot of automation.
    ProtoTRAK SLX : ProtoTRAK CNC - Southwestern Industries, Inc.
    ProtoTRAK SMX : ProtoTRAK CNC - Southwestern Industries, Inc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I disagree; If you want to make your own products, I think that the most important thing is to be able to produce your own CAD models, and modify them as need be. CAM is relatively straightforward; it's basically about translating CAD models into something your mill can execute. And while knowing about G-code is certainly useful, the CAM program will write it for you. But CAD is where you need to focus your learning power. If you've taken some AutoCAD classes, you're ahead of the game already. You can either keep going with AutoCAD, or transition to something similar, like Rhino, which has a CAM plugin called RhinoCAM that works within the program to generate your toolpaths.

If you've got a manual Bridgeport, I'd say keep it that way, and look for a machine that was built to be a CNC machine but has an obsolete or broken controller, then add a motion control system to that. You can sometimes find them for pretty much their price as scrap metal - shop owners often just want the space they take up for a new mill. It will have the ball screws and motor mounts already, which is a big part of what you need. Having the manual mill working will make it easier to make whatever parts you'll need for your retrofit.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoffmannm View Post
    I think you could learn it quick. As far as what to learn, I would say focus more on CAM/Gcode/CNC concepts vs CAD. When programming on the lathe you really just need a 2d view of the part wire frame so that it pretty dang easy. When programming on the mill you do usually need a 3d part model, but I would just hire that out. So in my humble opinion I think focusing on the CAM/Gcode concepts would be the best/essential route to transition in CNC manufacturing.

How big are your part runs? I don't run my own shop so I don't have spread sheet numbers to back this up, but I would think anything over 10 parts would be a good investment.

Machines:
    I started on these prototrak machines. They aren't full on "CNC" machines because they don't accept Gcode programs, but you are still programming in a lot of automation.
    ProtoTRAK SLX : ProtoTRAK CNC - Southwestern Industries, Inc.
    ProtoTRAK SMX : ProtoTRAK CNC - Southwestern Industries, Inc.
    I use ProtoTrak SMX 3 axis mill and ProtoTrak SLX lathe and both accept G code from Solid Cam 2013.

Al.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mason4309 View Post
    So I own a small gunsmithing business and we are looking to make a move into producing our own products. The issue is I don't have much experience with CNC machining. I have plenty of experience with manual mills and lathes, but I'm worried if i was to buy a cnc machine i would be in over my head. I took a few classes in Cad so I have a little bit of knowledge in AutoDesk, not sure if that helps. I also had a job where I programmed a couple robotic spot welders. So basically I'm wondering if there are certain machines that are more user friendly than others? Also should I just retro fit my Bridgeport J2 mill instead of buying a whole new machine? I've been looking through this forum trying to suck in as much knowledge as I can in hopes of understanding CNC a little bit more. Thanks for the help!
    I would say it depends on your budget. I use ProtoTrak SMX 3 Axis mill at work and use Solidworks/SolidCAM to generate tool paths from models. You could go with BobCadCAM . Very reasonable price. I purchased V27 after using V25 and found it to be very useful software. Easy to learn with plenty of online help.

Good Luck.

Al.