JamesTKal

Thread: JamesTKal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question JamesTKal

Hi
    I have not before attempted to do manual tool changes on Mach3Mill. I have had experience with other CNC machine controllers but I am finding that I cannot calibrate tools with different lengths. First I switch to tool #1 by using "T1 M6" on the MDI screen. Then, switching back to the Program run screen I set tool 1 to Z 0.0 by touching it on the surface of the work piece. Next, using "T3 M6" on the MDI screen I then place tool 3 into the chuck and touch it on the work piece surface using the Program Run screen. I then enter the displayed Z offset into the tool table using the field provided for tool 3 and push the "Accept" button. If the calibration is successfull, I would expect that if the machine z axis is not changed, then switching between tools 1 and 3 should result in the z axis display changing by the amount of the offset entered in the tool table. When I change the tools, on the Run" screen, the tool number changes and the correct offset for that tool, is displayed but there is no change in the Z DRO. I am of the impression that Mach3Mill is not using the offset value from the tool table.
    Also I am not able to use the "Offsets" screen because whatever I enter in the provided fields, reverts back to the original figures.

I think that there must be a setting which is not correct or I have a wrong understanding of how it works.

Any help would be appreciated.

JamesTKal

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: JamesTKal

The tool lengths in the tool table are only used when you are using G43 tool length offsets. But G43 is really only used when you have fixed length tooling, or an ATC.

You're better off exporting separate g-code for each tool, and zeroing each tool before running the code.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: JamesTKal

Thanks ger21
    Your advice was useful. I have a method of placing tools in in the chuck at the same distance out each time so I set Mach3 so that it stops when a tool change is required. Before the tool change gcode, I did a G0 to a high position (to clear the job so that I can change the tool) and then a G44 H__ followed by the T__ + M6.
    It all works so I am happy thanks to you!

JamesTKal