New Machine Build Need some help with mach configuring............

Thread: Need some help with mach configuring............

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need some help with mach configuring............

I finally stepped out and put some energy into a new build for myself. Got mach 3 loaded and all 4 of the nema 23 steppers all moving in the right + & - directions. Have them tuned but still playing with that function and tweaking it. Have them pretty close to moving at the incremental distance the DRO is reading but I still need to tram everything in. Here's what I'm attempting to do now and can't seem to figure out how. I'll attach a picture of my machine so hopefully a visual will help also.
    I have an A drive set up on the X and I want to change the A axis to my spindle drive in the mach software so that I can program it for different speeds of constant turning. This is just one of the fixtures that I will build and use on this machine.
    I tried signing up for the mach support forums but can't seem to get the stupid activation email from them. I'm already a member here so was hoping I could find some help.
    Any help at configuring the mach software to allow me to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards Dave
    Need some help with mach configuring............-20161110_154030-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need some help with mach configuring............

You need to set it up as a spindle, and not as the A drive.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm having trouble understanding what you want to do. You can command the A axis to go at different speeds already, although with a stepper and rotary table none of them are really going to be fast enough for turning. Still, you can make lathe-style parts by rotating the workpiece slowly while you cut it with rotating tools in the spindle.

But I don't see the point of transferring the control you have over the A axis to your spindle motor. You can already use PWM to control your spindle speed, assuming you've got that set up in hardware. But putting a stepper on the spindle and controlling it with step/direction would only slow it down to the point it was useless.

I'd suggest you get used to using the machine as it is, and put further mods on hold until you've got a firm handle on its capabilities in this configuration.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for replies.....
    Yea, maybe I'm a little confused to how I want to go about it. I know what I want the end result to be but just not sure how to do the configure.
    I have a custom machine already in use in my shop that is running Mach 2. The configure part of the two different soft wares are two different animals from what I can see. On my other machine, Mach 2 is a 3 axis drive and one of the axis is set to the spindle control and is easily programed for turning speed that way. so I guess that's where I got the idea that is what I wanted to do with this one.
    I know....everyone is trying to direct me away from using the stepper as a spindle drive. This Is what I want to do....nothing different at this time. I don't care about speeds or how fast I will be able to go I just want to be able to have constant, uninterrupted turn in the programs I write.

Granted I'm am new to this....cnc rookie.......I know just enough about this stuff to get me a job sweeping floors.
    Andrew....How would the code look for the A to be able to have constant turning in the entire length of the program. Say a G1 A F4? what else would I need to tell it?
    Thank you gentlemen for putting up with me.

edit....."Still, you can make lathe-style parts by rotating the workpiece slowly while you cut it with rotating tools in the spindle. "
    yes....Andrew you now know where I'm headed with this. I missed that the first time I read your reply sorry.

Downloads
    Uploads

ger21.......
    If I wanted to go that route would I start by using the pin numbers in the A? Turn that off and use those pins in the spindle?
    Thanks