Saving work offsets - and not accidentally changing them??

Thread: Saving work offsets - and not accidentally changing them??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saving work offsets - and not accidentally changing them??

So, I understand a little about work offsets, but am having one really vexing issue...

Say I save g55 in a particular location, for a particular fixture, such as cribbage boards. Works great - saves when I close, can reload and come to this position every time off of my machine 0, 0, 0.

Next, I finish my cribbage boards, and I move on to making something else - maybe some random piece that I'm just going to position the bit where I want, then zero X, Y and Z. But, if I have accidentally left it in g55 - it now changes the zero location for g55 - permanently. Even if I don't go to work offsets, and click save, just the fact that I was still in G55, and re-zeroed, makes it reset all of G55's settings. Now I've lost my cribbage board offset for all eternity, unless I happen to have written it down. Very annoying - it shouldn't let you override those saved settings, or should at least have a pop-up which asks if you're sure you want to override those particular settings.

Am I missing something? Is there some way I can set it so that I never accidentally forget to move out of whatever work offset I'm in, and accidentally override it? This is a particularly annoying issue for me, because I own a makerspace, and it is all too easy for someone new to not realize they're in someone else's saved work offset, and screw it all up. Thanks in advance,

Will

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saving work offsets - and not accidentally changing them??

You are supposed to set up G54, etc,.for a particular job, of course when you rerun the job, the holding fixture or however you hold the part, will not be in the exact same location and you change the value you used very slightly.
    If you set up 4 parts on the table, all running the same program, you would use G54,G55, G56 and G57 and the program would be written as a Subprogram and repeated in 4 different locations.
    For some detailed program examples, look at my listing on Youtube. put in my name: Heinz Putz to see it.
    The listing is a public service by me to help shop people to learn CNC programming and it and any advice any of you need are totally free, all details are based on my 30+ years of teaching shops to produce efficient CNC lathe and mill parts.
    Heinz at doccnc.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saving work offsets - and not accidentally changing them??

You have 253 offsets to use. For fixtures that you will repeatedly use over and over, use one like G59P250.
    Save it, and add G59P250 to your g-code, and you should be good to go. I doubt that you'd ever accidentally over write it.
    But on something like that, you should always write it down.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)