Need Help! parallel port to usb

Thread: parallel port to usb

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default parallel port to usb

Hi, I have a Chinese 6040 cnc router that uses parallel port. I would like to replace the board with some thing that uses usb. Im new to all this so im looking for some advise. What I need to know to get the correct board?
    also can I use windows 7 64 or 32
    Thanks
    Carlos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:
    Using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: parallel port to usb

Cheapest option is a UC100.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

And UC100 works very good.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you guys l, gonna try that

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, got me the UC100, seems to work ok, the problem Im having is to set up the Z probe for auto tool any suggestions or a video, instructions
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks

Using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Cheapest option is a UC100.
    I know the OP has already purchased a UC100, and by all accounts it is a fine piece of equipment, but it is far from the cheapest. I am posting for others that may read this thread.

The absolute cheapest USB motion controller is GRBL, It can be implemented for the price of a clone Arduino Uno, About $5. Yes, $5. the GRBL firmware is free as are many user interfaces for the host computer. There are free user interfaces for host computers running Windows, Linux, Mac, stand alone options, etc. GRBL on an Arduino Uno can provide up to 30kHz stepping rate very reliably. The drawback of GRBL is that currently the G-code command set is limited, but it has the basics and there are CAM post processors that can make up for the lacking commands. I have not tried it, but I did see there is a CAM post processor for Fusion 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

Setup the Probe input in the ports and pins.
    Check the diagnostics page for the probe LED and set the Active low polarity of the probe in a way that the probe LED should be off when the probe is inactive and on when it is active.
    if it is reversed then change the active low setting for the probe input.
    And you are good to go. Execute a G31 Z-10 for example to probe the Z-axis. The Z-10 is the endpoint of the movement if the probe will not hit then the motion will stop there.

If you using Mach3 then I have to note that in newer versions the Autozero button is broken, there is no script behind the button.
    You have to use the screen editor and add your tool measurement script.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Setup the Probe input in the ports and pins.
    Check the diagnostics page for the probe LED and set the Active low polarity of the probe in a way that the probe LED should be off when the probe is inactive and on when it is active.
    if it is reversed then change the active low setting for the probe input.
    And you are good to go. Execute a G31 Z-10 for example to probe the Z-axis. The Z-10 is the endpoint of the movement if the probe will not hit then the motion will stop there.

If you using Mach3 then I have to note that in newer versions the Autozero button is broken, there is no script behind the button.
    You have to use the screen editor and add your tool measurement script.
    The only addition to that is that the code line G31 Z-10 should also have an F added, otherwise you might end up with too fast or too slow probing speed, depending on the last used feedrate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    I know the OP has already purchased a UC100, and by all accounts it is a fine piece of equipment, but it is far from the cheapest. I am posting for others that may read this thread.

The absolute cheapest USB motion controller is GRBL, It can be implemented for the price of a clone Arduino Uno, About $5. Yes, $5. the GRBL firmware is free as are many user interfaces for the host computer. There are free user interfaces for host computers running Windows, Linux, Mac, stand alone options, etc. GRBL on an Arduino Uno can provide up to 30kHz stepping rate very reliably. The drawback of GRBL is that currently the G-code command set is limited, but it has the basics and there are CAM post processors that can make up for the lacking commands. I have not tried it, but I did see there is a CAM post processor for Fusion 360.
    You must be joking comparing the UC100 with that one. The UC100 is a real plug and play, up and running after two minutes, of which the longest time is the installation of plugin. Apart from that, it does not have the limitations you are talking about and the user does not need to be an electronic expert and a programmer with a lot of free time to make it work. It's enough to read that "currently the G-code command set is limited" to conclude that it is not for everyone, only for those who want to experiment and are very much interested in spending time on building electronics, and definitely not a replacement for parallel port use. Trading the parallel port and not even gaining anything in stepping rate and losing G-code compatibility is really not a good trade, especially since the UC100 costs only about $90 and saves MANY hours of hair pulling exercises.

Besides, the OP didn't even ask about the cheapest solution... but... "cheapest" is not always defined by the $$$. Some people value the time spent and support as well, and not appreciate to experiment with uncertain outcome which may end up in something totally useless, especially if the G-code is limited and features needed are missing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you guys, I will try to set it today after work today and post results. Uc100 was easy to installed $90 was not bad, and basically p&p

Using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, the GRBL is simply the next step along the path from huge PCBs with very limited functionality (30+ years ago) to PC control via UCCNC, LinuxCNC and Mach3 (supporting all of NIST), down to little Arduino boards. Not only did the physical volume crash downwards, so did the price. Orders of magnitude or more!

However, while GRBL is a fine idea to be supported, be aware it has some limits. Yes, it supports most of the NIST g-code, but not the extensions favoured by Fanuc etc. It is JUST g-code: no conditionals. It does not yet support the G8n drilling macros, which is a small inconvenience. It can only support 3 axes (X, Y & Z) and no rotary axes, which is a much bigger pain as you are seriously limited there. And I don't think it allows you to create further M commands using something like a small Basic interpreter. That is a BIG limitation. In addition, one has to admit it is a little slow. The max pulse rate is 30 kHz; on a Smooth Stepper hanging off Mach3 the max pulse rate is something like 300 kHz or more - and with 6 axes in sync.

I would imagine that it could be ideal for a cheap MYOG 3D printer.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    You must be joking comparing the UC100 with that one. The UC100 is a real plug and play, up and running after two minutes, of which the longest time is the installation of plugin. Apart from that, it does not have the limitations you are talking about and the user does not need to be an electronic expert and a programmer with a lot of free time to make it work. It's enough to read that "currently the G-code command set is limited" to conclude that it is not for everyone, only for those who want to experiment and are very much interested in spending time on building electronics, and definitely not a replacement for parallel port use. Trading the parallel port and not even gaining anything in stepping rate and losing G-code compatibility is really not a good trade, especially since the UC100 costs only about $90 and saves MANY hours of hair pulling exercises.

Besides, the OP didn't even ask about the cheapest solution... but... "cheapest" is not always defined by the $$$. Some people value the time spent and support as well, and not appreciate to experiment with uncertain outcome which may end up in something totally useless, especially if the G-code is limited and features needed are missing.
    Why would I be joking? I simply presented GRBL as a USB option for motion control. I never said it was better than UC100 or any other controller, only that it was an option, that happens to be the cheapest in terms of money.

As you said, " "cheapest" is not always defined by the $$$. Some people value the time spent and support as well" That is fine and you can value it any way you like. Just like any one who reads this thread can place their own value on it. I an not dictating how a person values their time, what value they place on support, etc. That is for the individual to do themselves.

I responded to a specific post, even quoting it in my thread. I realized the OP already bought a UC100, even mentioned it in my thread, but as I stated, my post was to clarify that UC100 is not the cheapest USB solution for other readers.

You may not like GRBL, and that is fine. My suspicion from your posts is that you have no direct experience with GRBL. That is fine too. However, I don't understand why you would blast GRBL since: 1- It is the absolute cheapest USB solution, hands down, 2- Being the cheapest, it allows those on a tight budget to enjoy the benefits of a dedicated control system. 3- It provides an option for people running any OS on their host computer 4- Some people may look at it as an extension of their hobby, and I could go on.

Nobody is forcing anyone to use GRBL, it was only presented as an option for those that may read this thread. It was not presented as a total, replace all, need nothing else solution. I don't personally know the people that will read this thread and I have no way of knowing where their interests are. Perhaps someone who reads this thread would be intrigued by GRBL and support its development to make it better, and support more. I have no idea, and quite frankly neither do you.

As it is now GRBL can do just about anything in 3 axes if you use CAM. Some people use CAM all the time never hand coding, so GRBL isn't a problem. You just need the right post-processor. As for the limited g-code set, below is what GRBL currently supports natively. Yes it is limited, but there is enough there for many many users. Also, the interfaces that people have written extend the list of usable features. I myself have written an interface that extends the list below, adding in many of the G8x canned cycles, tool tables, optional stop, custom codes, etc.

I don't know what the needs are of everyone who is going to read this thread. You don't either. Is UC100 better than GRBL? That depends on how you look at it. Is a Corvette better than a Honda Civic? Depends on where you place your value and what you need. I for one would never buy a Corvette because I don't place enough additional value on what it does over a Civic.

Here are those natively supported commands in GRBL:

RS274ngc commands supported by GRBL
    G0, G1 Linear Motions
    G2, G3 Arc and Helical Motions
    G4 Dwell
    G10 L2,
    G10 L20 Set Work Coordinate Offsets
    G17-19 Plane Selection
    G20-21 Units
    G28, G30 Go to Pre-Defined Position
    G28.1, G30.1 Set Pre-Defined Position
    G38.2-.5 Probing