Mach3 motor tuning question

Thread: Mach3 motor tuning question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 motor tuning question

OK, I just finish building my CNC router base off of Joe2000che's and JGRO's plans.
    I have the hobbycnc driver with 3 200oz 1.8 degree stepper motors and 5/16 18 tpi lead screw. I'm trying to configure the motor tuning page in Mach3. I been searching and reading in the forum on how to tune the motor but could not find out how to calculate the step per. I understand for the Accel and Velocity you just try error until you get the motor to stall and decrease it by 20% but for the "steps per" not sure how to obtain or calculate it. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on this already but I can't seem to find it.

Any help will be great. By the way did I mention I was a newbie.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kn6398
    OK, I just finish building my CNC router base off of Joe2000che's and JGRO's plans.
    I have the hobbycnc driver with 3 200oz 1.8 degree stepper motors and 5/16 18 tpi lead screw. I'm trying to configure the motor tuning page in Mach3. I been searching and reading in the forum on how to tune the motor but could not find out how to calculate the step per. I understand for the Accel and Velocity you just try error until you get the motor to stall and decrease it by 20% but for the "steps per" not sure how to obtain or calculate it. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on this already but I can't seem to find it.

Any help will be great. By the way did I mention I was a newbie.
    200 steps per revolution x 18 turns per inch (5/16"-18 rods) = 3,600 full step or 7,200 1/2 step and so on depending on the step jumpers you set on your board.

Any pictures of your machine? like to see a post on it.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    200 steps per revolution x 18 turns per inch (5/16"-18 rods) = 3,600 full step or 7,200 1/2 step and so on depending on the step jumpers you set on your board.

Any pictures of your machine? like to see a post on it.

Joe
    I guess my value will be 3600/.25=14,400 for 1/4 setting on my board.

My first test cut "the famous road runner". I haven't fine tune it I was to excited and couldn't wait.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach3 motor tuning question-whole-table-jpg   Mach3 motor tuning question-z-axis-jpg   Mach3 motor tuning question-testcut-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

yes that is correct 14,400 is what i had mine at 1/4 step. That is a nice looking machine. When i finish my new machine remind me to send you the files and g-codes so you can make it yourself.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't had done it if you hadn't cut most of the small part for me.
    The parts you cut came out looking real good.
    You will reget saying that I will be bugging you for the new maching file you're working on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kn6398
    I wouldn't had done it if you hadn't cut most of the small part for me.
    The parts you cut came out looking real good.
    You will reget saying that I will be bugging you for the new maching file you're working on.
    The parts i sent you came from my second machine just like the one you just built and also it cut the parts for my new CNC Model 2006 Machine.

so i know it works well... lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help,

I have a 3 axis xylotex kit and I am running it with Mach 3. I have the motor tunning steps per set at 14,400. When the dro say's it has moved an inch it really has only moved a half an inch. My lead screw is a 5\16-18. So do I need to increase the steps per value in the motor tunning?

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM
    Help,

I have a 3 axis xylotex kit and I am running it with Mach 3. I have the motor tunning steps per set at 14,400. When the dro say's it has moved an inch it really has only moved a half an inch. My lead screw is a 5\16-18. So do I need to increase the steps per value in the motor tunning?

Gary
    check your microstepping on your controllor board, try setting steps to 28800 to match the board. Looks like you have it set to 1/8 step.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM
    Help,

Gary
    Yes, double it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks alot guy's, that was it. I set it to 28800 and know it's dead on. Once I get the Z axis done I'll be makin chips.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 motor tuning question

Hi please guy im new here im using nema 42 for home made cnc router i have problem with step per unit im using pulley on ball screw 32 teeth and on motor 16 teeth one unit of nut machine move 40mm how i will count and set it? kelling 11080 my driver i set microstep on 8 plz help me .
    mukesh.