Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic

Thread: Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic

Anyone have or have an idea where I can get a schematic for a Paxton Patterson CNC Mill (Training Mill)
    Model: HP Mill Serial # 00578

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic

I've got most of it in my head, but i have a thread on here that lays it all out.

Hollar if you need help. xbunlocked@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are you wanting to hook up to the mill? I have the pinout for the db-25 port on the side of the mill. Recently began hooking it up to a Raspberry Pi 3 B with PyCNC, and was able to get all the motors moving fine. Only issue I had was the shield switch on the door. The door had to be open to allow the motors to be controlled by computer. If you have the same mill, could you open the back and diagram the wiring from the switches on the top? See the attachments for most of what you need.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by naldarn View Post
    Only issue I had was the shield switch on the door. The door had to be open to allow the motors to be controlled by computer.
    This is an easy fix. A} To fix this in software change that pin from Active Low to Active High. or B} To change it in hardware look at the microswitch. it has 3 terminals. The bottom is common. The top terminal is NC {normally closed}, The middle terminal is NO {normally open}. Move the top wire to the middle terminal. Or if its already on the middle terminal move it up to the top. Don't move the bottom wire, leave it on the bottom terminal. You should be good to go.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kawgomoo View Post
    This is an easy fix. A} To fix this in software change that pin from Active Low to Active High. or B} To change it in hardware look at the microswitch. it has 3 terminals. The bottom is common. The top terminal is NC {normally closed}, The middle terminal is NO {normally open}. Move the top wire to the middle terminal. Or if its already on the middle terminal move it up to the top. Don't move the bottom wire, leave it on the bottom terminal. You should be good to go.
    Not overly worried about it, I would have to remove the entire base just to change the wires. This is wired directly to the driver board, so no software changes possible.

The issue I would like to fix is the cnc/man switch, currently it does not disable the steppers when switched to man. I'm pretty sure the switch was rewired by someone, so I'm not sure what should be connected to the second SSR. Any help appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

no, you change the wires on the back of the switch, you just open the cover. or change the active high/active low setting in the software. The control software in your case in the RasPi. The "Shield" switch goes to the optidriver AIO board, where it is passed through to the DB25 header. It is an output to the controller, it has no direct control over the Optidriver board, which is strictly a slave. It has no integrated intelligence.

And no, the manual switch doesn't work. this is done through software by disabling pin 9/10 through the optidriver dongle you are missing.

you really don't understand how this thing works.

one SSR is AC the other is DC one is on/off for the entire machine, the other is for the spindle motor.

Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic-20180906_114649-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic-20180906_114649-jpg  
    Last edited by Kawgomoo; 09-06-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do understand how this works, the shield switch on my mill is in the bottom of the enclosure. Which is only accessed by removing the entire bottom plate with the rubber feet on it. With the software running, I can close the door and it instantly stops all stepper motion.

I have the spindle working just fine with the CNC/MAN switch, so we can ignore that. The shield switch stopping all steppers when I CLOSE the shield is the opposite of the intended action. Since I am not using it in a classroom or public setting, am not concerned, i just leave the shield open slightly.

One additional hiccup is the fact that they thought hooking up the Z axis to M2 was logical.

All of my issues would be solved with a proper and accurate schematic, of which there seem to be none. I am trying to create one, but the lack of color coding from the CNC/MAN switch and the robotic interface makes it difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see why it matters to you which motor runs the Z. You probe the pins, and whichever axis moves when that pin is pulsed is which axis it is. It makes no difference what order they are in.

The shield doesn't interface with the optidriver, it interfaces with the controller. Your controller SHOULD be telling it to stop all motion, unless someone has opened the machine up and messed with the wiring previously, or something is mis-wired now. Considering these machines are 20+ years old, yeah it wouldn't shock me. The optidriver has no intelligence, its just a slave. If you pulse an axis pin with one of the current enable pins {9/10} "grounded" {jumped to pin23}, then the axis moves. CNC/MAN does nothing on the optidriver board, it toggles the state of 1 SSR {spindle}.

The shield could be wired to the current enable pins, but there would be obvious butchery inside the machine base. In its original state Shield is an OUTPUT to the controller. It runs through the optidriver board from the edge connector to the DB25, only passing though the low pass filter. Again, this filter has no logic, its just there to ensure a clean safe signal. The PDF you posted clearly outlines this. The shield is Pin 20 in the DB25, it SHOULD NOT go to "ground" or V- its an output to the controller, like any other limit switch. you can unplug it and disregard it, the mill will work just fine and dandy.

If your board is labeled m1 m2 m3 instead of x y z its an optidriver plus. {the silk screening printed on the PCB itself}

All signal wires are white. The robotic interface is nothing. Its a pass through from the DB25 to the DB9, there are no circuits on the board, not even an optocoupler or LPF. again, your PDF outlines this. The purpose of the DB9 is to pass control logic from the DB25 to an external piece of additional hardware {robotic interface} its only there to act as a daisy chain

The "grounds" on the optidriver are Voltage Negative. They SHOULD NOT go to mains ground/chassis ground, which is PE {protective earth} Pin 23 is the TTL ground. If you need to say enable pins 9/10 then you do so by jumping to Pin 23.

The pdf explains all of this, but there seems to be a typo or two. Shield is a Conditioned input. Input on the Optiboard, which means its outputting to the controller. Not affecting any logic on the driver itself. Its a driver, not a PLC.

You've got some misunderstandings, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you over it. If you knew, you wouldn't be having these problems.

From what i can tell you have the shield going to the mains ground, when you close that circuit the board is going into protect and shutting down. You are teetering on the brink of letting the magic smoke out. Shields and Estops work off NC switches for safety reasons. If the switch fails, or a wire breaks or comes loose the machine defaults to a safe state.

Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic-screen-shot-2018-09-03-5-27-a

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paxton Patterson CNC Mill Schematic-screen-shot-2018-09-03-5-27-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I have a Paxton Patterson mill and lathe, in a "CNC learning Center" enclosure.

(I spoke to kawgomoo before, but don't want to keep stealing his time)

What I want to do is replace "all" electronics, stepper-motors, stepper-driver, powersupply and transformer. Keep the spindle-motor and it's controller (KBLC-240DS, common controller box from Sherline), and also keep the functionality of the "E-stop button", the on/off light, the "key-on" feature and the CNC/manual function.

I removed the stepper motors and the driver (and it's wires) and disassembled the enclosre (had to cut the wire for the "lid switch, and a limit switch that go through the spindle motor area), ad identified all wiring that goes through the top to the bottom, through that "lots of pins" plug.

Now when I turn on the machine with the key, e-stop works, light is on but I cannot get the spindle to move.

Any tips or pointers? Is the a wiring diagram for the whole machine?

I am planning on testing if I messed up the KBLC-240DS controller by directly connecting it to power, and see if I can back track the problem that way.

thanks,

Ron

Diesand is the largest machine tool builder in the USA, manufacturing a complete tool of CNC Milling machine center, and all products.
    https://www.diesandinc.com/equipment/